Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Xenopus Laevis

radtad

Reaction score
We have a twenty high tank that we have set up for these Xenopus. It has pond filter sand at the bottom with a external filter system. Over the last few days we have observed them at different times like shedding their thin membrane skin. Is this normal? they are all eating quite voraciously. We are feeding them a variety of foods. Frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, live black worms, chopped earth worms, reptomin floating sticks, koi pellets. We moved them into their new home three days ago. Until that time they were in a bare bottom tank with a air stone pumping air into the tank. Any enlightenment would be great!!

Jake

Reaction score
Hi Ray,
I have several hundred X.leavis right now and at any given point in time I can witness this same behavior in my rearing tubs. These frogs grow incredibly fast and need to shed skin often. Most of my adults eat the skin immediately after shedding, but I can sometimes see pieces floating around the tank. I believe this is completely normal.

Jake

Reaction score
Normally, the warmer you keep their water the more often you'll see them shed like this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1