oooH!Eggs! First time what do I do?

hermes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Leanne
Hi guys,
So I came in this evening turned on my tank lamp and found loads of little eggs in my tank mostly attached to my java fern(? - i think). Been reading on the caudata.org site that if I plan on rearing I should start with a small clutch, so I was thinking maybe 10. From what I've read was going to remove the plants and put in a new tank, as all attached to the plants and separate my female from my male for around a month (via a divider in the tank) to allow her to recover. What do you guys think? Possibly up her food intake also?

Also was planning on dispersing the eggs to anyone who wanted them and was wondering exactly how I would go about transporting them? I'm so excited!

Any help anyone can give me would be great, as this is my first time at rearing and breeding!

Leanne

P.s. pictures to follow

Egg pic

Just one picture for now as forgot must make pictures small!
Have removed all eggs that I could find from the tank into a separate tank and split mum and dad now. Planning on keeping the pair separate for a month as suggested on Caudata.org to feed her up and then putting her back with my male.
Very excited.
Still would like info if anyone knows how to package eggs for postage to other people, please!

Attachments

• DSCF38571.jpg
    DSCF38571.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 247
Go to Caudata Culture for Egg packaging. You might want to keep the female and male separate for longer than a month.

HELP! they've hatched!!!

okay, so I have had them start hatching today before I expected and was at first rather worried because they weren't moving but after readin threads on here and the Caudata.org site I am now reassured. However I would like to know what to do next. I have daphnia and brine shrimp waiting ready to be eaten, but when do I start feeding and when can I move them to another container as it is hard to see them at the moment iin the egg tank as there is lots of plants floating around.
Should I do it now and put a few daphnia in ready for them or should I wait until they start moving and then try and catch them and ad daphnia (the brine shrimp are a back-up)?
Leanne

I hope someone replies soon regarding this as I am pretty much in the same situation as u, with newly hatched axo's and have no clue as to what to do next.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back