Eurycea cirrigera breeding questions

herplvr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a gravid female Southern two-lined salamander and I just have a couple questions.

How long does it take for the eggs to hatch after they're laid at room temp (about 70F)?

Also, what is the best first-food for the larvae? I was thinking of using "green water" and small crustaceans such as cyclops and rotifers, as I heard these are the best first food for newly hatched sallies.

Thanks

hi

Well I have raised this species before and I honestly can't tell you when they will hatch but when I raised mine from eggs I used pond water full of invertebrates when they first hatched and I used daphnia and water mites. As they grew bigger I gave them tubifex worms, chopped earthworms and then small ones and they morphed at about an inch. Hope this helps

Thank you. Definitely helps. I've got the female in a (temporary) critter cage with a piece of slate for her to lay her eggs under (I read they lay their eggs under rocks). It's small, maybe 6" long and 3" wide. It's crawling with little inverts (I think mainly cyclops, and some daphnia). I'm going to set them up a better container though, a 12" x 6" rubbermaid container. I just don't have a lid for it, so that's why the female is in such a small cage at the moment. I'm going to put a bunch of elodea in it and seed it with some of the cyclops and daphnia from the critter cage, and hopefully it will be enough to allow some of the larvae to survive.

Yes, I've read it. Lots of great info. That's where I read they laid their eggs under rocks.

Do you know if females are supposed to darken up as they get closer to egg laying? My female seems to get darker and darker as she gets larger and larger from the eggs.

Mine have darkened as they grew but it wasn't from eggs. They usually looked lighter becuase of the bright yellow eggs bulging out against their bellies.

Oh.

When the eggs start to develope in her stomach, does that mean they're fertilized, or are they ripe and ready to be fertilized?

Do you know how to tell if they are fertile or not? She's been with a male for 3 weeks, so I'm going to assume that they're fertile.

Yes. They were at least that big. I released him as he would not eat, so I figured he would be better off in the wild. I've got some pictures I can post of his cirri. I took pictures of them to post on here anyways.

Well then I would suppose there is a greater chance that the eggs are fertile.

Ok. Thank you for all of your help. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back