The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 8th March 2008   #1
salamanderguy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: salamanderguy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Exclamation urgent!! injured spanish ribbed newt

help my spanish ribbed newt just broke his lowef jaw he got it stuck inside a very small mussel it is almost ripped in half. what should i do ? i know that they are pretty hardy and can recover from most injuries but will his jaw ever be okay again? should i try to set it somehow? he doesnt need to eat for another week hes in preety googd shape but i have no idea what to do?

salamanderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #2
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderguy View Post
help my spanish ribbed newt just broke his lowef jaw he got it stuck inside a very small mussel it is almost ripped in half. what should i do ? i know that they are pretty hardy and can recover from most injuries but will his jaw ever be okay again? should i try to set it somehow? he doesnt need to eat for another week hes in preety googd shape but i have no idea what to do?
Depending on how bad the wound is, it should recover no problem. Do you have photos by any chance?

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #3
salamanderguy

Nationality:
Rep: salamanderguy has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

heres a picture you can sort of see the hole in the lower jaw. sorry about the quility
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S2020254.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2556  

Old 8th March 2008   #4
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I can't really tell by the picture, but it doesn't look horrible. Keep it in cool, clean water and it should heal up fine as long as it's not infected.

Keep us updated.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #5
salamanderguy

Nationality:

thanks for the info. part of his jawbone is almost snapped off though its hanging out of the wound.

Old 8th March 2008   #6
Jeff Altenburg
(newtsrfun)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: newtsrfun has given good advice and informationnewtsrfun has given good advice and information

I would seperate it from the other newts- so when you feed them the injured one doesn't try to eat, or get excited by the food.

newtsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #7
MRIGUY

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Rep: MRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and informationMRIGUY has given consistently excellent advice and information

I would also remove the mussels ASAP. Bivalves and fish are fine but amphibians tend to poke their parts in where they don't belong and sometimes with bad results.

MRIGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008   #8
Jeff Altenburg
(newtsrfun)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: newtsrfun has given good advice and informationnewtsrfun has given good advice and information

musscels as in shelfish? i missed that- why the heck are those in there?

newtsrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2008   #9
salamanderguy

Nationality:

well it was a 0.75 inch one and he tried to eat it. i actually didnt notice it among the garvel

Tags
injured, newt, ribbed, spanish, urgent