Chemical Levels??

Chodo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I recently bought a 5 in 1 chemical tester kit for my axlotls and was wondering what a healthy level of Gh, Kh, Nitrate and Nitrite would be? Any help is much appreciated :p

Chodo,

If by 5 in 1 you mean that you have the test/dip strips, I strongly recommend that immediately change to the liquid test kits (i.e. the ones contained in bottles). Reason being test/dip strips are the least accurate for testing water quality and they don't always test for ammonia.

Aside from that, the recommended levels are as follows:

Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitirte- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0-40ppm
GH- 125/3-196.9ppm
As for KH, well I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Jay.

Here is an article that explains a bit about PH:
http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

The most important thing is keeping the PH stable though, so if it is a bit towards the higher or lower scale just leave it alone rather than use chemicals to adjust it. Axolotls can cope fine in PH levels of 6.5-8.

Summary of article:

Ways to lower PH
· Filtering water over peat
·
Add bogwood to the tank
·
Inject carbon dioxide CO2
·
Use a commercial acid buffer
·
Water changes with softened water or RO (Reverse Osmosis) water
Ways to raise PH
· Aerate the water, driving off the carbon dioxide (CO2)
·
Filter over coral or limestone
·
Add rocks containing limestone to the tank or use a coral sand substrate
·
Use a commercial alkaline buffer

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back