Help making a waterfall for a paludarium

Whoo

Field Herper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kyle G.
I've been busy for the past week and a half browsing a few pet stores for supplies. Today I found one with quite a few supplies needed like moss. Anyway I still need a month or two to buy the supplies. Now I've decided that I want a waterfall for the paludarium. So my question is how to start making one.

Your going to need to be a bit more specific than that, what kind of effect are you trying to achieve? What kind of setup? Materials? Equipment?

Thats a bit like asking 'How do I build a paludarium' or 'how longs a piece of string'? :)

The easiest way is to conceal a small submersible pump below the water, or use the filter outflow. Presuming your decoraing the back wall of the tank just conceal the pipe in the decorations so the water flows down the back wall. Place a small pot, rock or pece of cork bark right on top of where te pipe ends so the water cascades down over the edge.
If the back of your tank is bare you could construct a pile of wood/rocks rising out of the water concealing the pipe/pump/filter that it just flows down.

You can elaborte on that basic design as much as you want, have a look through the forum, there was a post a while back where someone used an arangement of plastic saucers(the kind plant pots tand on)stuck together with rocks and substrate to create a multi-teir waterfall.

Well I was hoping to do something like coen's:

PICT1529.jpg

But the only difference is that my tank is a 10 gallon.

You can get either a pump or a wisper water filter 40i or smaller since your paludarium will be in a 10 gallon tank, you wont need to use pvc pipes to make the water go up you can get those filters at any pet store even wallmart carries them, or try www.drfoster&smith.com , I'll use one for my paludarium in a 75 gallon tank and I'm using concret to build the structure and the water fall.

Good luck with you proyect :D

Your enclosure looks nice. Just remember that other than a few exceptions newts do not enjoy a lot of turbulance. As long as you keep the flow at a trickle it should be OK though.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back