Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

please help! bowel blockage?

bowtie

Reaction score
my poor axie hasnt been eating, is floating at the top of the tank and has this greeny, wooly stuff coming out his bum

he also has this opaque white stuff growing on his bum, its in the shape of a star almost,

hes been sick for a while now and ive been looking for help, but i cant find anything relevant!

digger

Reaction score
Hi sorry to hear of your troubles.
All i can suggest is you pop him in the fridge in some clean dechlorinated water and try to find a vet who deals in amphibians.
If you could post a picture others might be able to offer more advice.
If you pop hin in the fridge this will atleast help him de-stress, just make sure you only put enough water in to cover his back this will stop the floating, also cover the container in somthing dark to stop light and temperature fluctuations. You will need to keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in there for water changes.
You should also check the parameters of your water.
The more information you can give the better people will be able to help, such as what your entire set up is in your tank.

bendawson

Reaction score
fungel

it could be a fungel infection or bladder infection floting it a sign of illness so i would seek vet advice

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Bowtie,

Thats not a good look for an axolotl.

It could be a prolapse.

Really need a photo to be sure.

Is your axie behaving normally otherwise, eating ? or is it stressed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1