Why did you give your axie that name?

Kal El

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jay
Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd throw in something random because I should be studying but i'm procrastinating to no end :p But you know what they say: Procrastinators. The leaders of tomorrow...:D Anyway, how did everybody come up with the name(s) for their axolotl(s)? Because some people have some very funky and creative names...so it's more just out of curiosity if anything :rolleyes:

I called mine Bubbles (yeah, real orginial I know! :lol:) because she loves hanging around the airstone and if she could I'm sure she would build a fort up around her. When I told my friend the name, she laughed at me and told me that I might as well have called her "Gas" lol.

So yeah, lets get to know all the weird and wonderful names for these amazing pets.

Jay.

Haha, is your Bubbles like the one from Finding Nemo then? If you haven't seen that movie, there is a little fish that yells 'Bubbles' whenever the bubbler opens - it's really cute but you kinda have to see it. :p

Well I have Maxolotl the Axolotl because I like rhyming names. I have had Mishy the Fishy I-III, Mish the Fish, Muppy the Guppy, Mactus the Cactus and Mucculent the Succulent. Sad... I know. I don't even know why I always go with an M name...

I too am procastinating at work while I wait for my scripts to run ;)

My Axolotls sort of inherit their names.

I have my three golden girls (although I don't know their sex yet) - The Bellabelloo's; Pig, Funny Gill, the other one. ColinB's; Big Colin and Little Colin.

First Axolotl I ever raised; The General (White Axolotl with one smaller leg); At my sister's house I have Nigel's; White Male & White Female and Black Male & Black Female.

I have Mrs Gilmore (gilly for short) because she always looks like she is smiling and happy, and Bugsy who had lost his frills so I seemed to focus on his eyes.
The short leged "The General" made me laugh.

I do remember commenting on the name Maxolotl, and that's exactly what I meant by 'creative' ;) And yes, I have seen Finding Nemo (it's a personal favourite- next to The Lion King). The yellow fish sees the bubbles and says "my bubbles!"...now that's gold! Could i be more of a child!? :lol:

Jay.

The name Darwin was coined by my 10-yr old daughter, as an obvious reference to the evolutionary curiosity that axolotls are. We also thought of Choxolotl (he's brown, and that's the Mayan word for chocolate) and Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent. The gills are sort of feathery.

I have Hendrix, Ollie, Smeagol and Moomintroll

All are named for their looks or behaviours Hendrix is so named as he has a damaged right leg and so is left handed his gills are also reminiscent of Jimis mop of hair, Ollie Nominally Oliver for the "Dickens Oliver Twist" and his insatiable appetite. Smeagol simply because I live in Middle Earth so it seemed appropriate. Moomintroll because she really looks like a character from a series of childrens books by the same name

I suggested Moomintroll for my original female and the cherubs just gave me the all too familiar blank look and shake of the head... peasants!. So we have Jeffrey my male wild type who was named by my eldest and Princess Maude named with the help of my little maid ..it also happens to be the name of a comic couple by Jeff Lawson. We have one juvenile who has been temporarily called Tiddler, but this now has to be changes as my next addition to the family is also being called this.

'Princess Maude' that does sound very grand lol.
My two are named 'Gloria' and 'Suki'.
Gloria- don't know why, it just came to me and I think it suits her.
Suki- this was shortened down from Vasuki. Vasuki was a mythical sea serpent/dragon creature who churned the oceans. I just liked it because it was different and at least 'water' related.

My very first axolotl was called Albert - because when I got him, he was "All but" 1 foot. It sort of lost some meaning when he grew it back within a couple of months. :rolleyes:

I called mine Cerveza which is Spanish for beer and Spanish is the main language of Mexico.

The name Darwin was coined by my 10-yr old daughter, as an obvious reference to the evolutionary curiosity that axolotls are. We also thought of Choxolotl (he's brown, and that's the Mayan word for chocolate) and Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent. The gills are sort of feathery.

I have called mine Darwin for the same reason, I also noticed not so long ago that Chester Zoo have something called the Darwin program were they are trying to save the axolotl's wild habitat.

Mine is very boringly called Fred after a visitor to our house just after we got him started calling him Freeky Fred and I clutched at that as all anyone around here could come up with otherwise was Axel. However I now have another we've only had for a few days, also male I think, who is name-less currently. Any ideas? My Pets tend to end up with People names. We have had two boxers, one was Roy, and the other (current) is Lucy.

Hello, Figured I'd explain mine for the heck of it.

Tanis- A word derived from Semitic roots meaning 'Serpent Lady'

Atin- An Egyptian God of the Sun, also a favourite name of mine.

A little off topic but I was surprised to learn this week what axolotl actually means. It is an Aztec work for "Water Monster".

and just on the topic of Egyptians God's my girlfriend is actually an Egyptologist and I think that my next axolotl will be named after something egypty.

I am an avid gardener
hence the names: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Basil and Saffron.

When my girlfriend bought me mine he was chasing the others around the tank, so Sid Vicious it was. If he starts playing bass guitar I will let you know.

Mine is called Gussy Finknotle after the characteur in the PG Wodehouse books 'jeeves and wooster'
The character in the books keeps newts (and i figured axies were of the same family!) and it rhythms with axolotl!

Mine are called Ray Mysterio and Binky. Ray because he's mexican and Binky because it was a cute name, and also is death's horse in the Discworld books.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back