Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this regular behavior ???

oatmeal23

Reaction score
I am a first time owner of a paddle tailed newt. I got my newt on Monday ever since then he hasn't eaten. I have him in a 10 gallon tank for now. The tank has has plant life, and two rock caves. He either stay' s in one all day or is behind them. I give him a few newt bites a day but he does not eat. Is it because he is in a new environment ??

Lasher

Reaction score
Its not uncommon in a new environment.
Other factors to consider would be where you got him(Pet store? Wild or captive bred?), water quality(cycled? Tested?) and the food your offering. Don't know what a 'newt bite' is, try real food.

keechoo

Reaction score
I have 3 of them and I can tell you that 2 didn't eat for about a week but the third tried the pellets. Someone here told me they would eat live food so I offered them trout worms and they grabbed them right away. Two are still eating the trout worms and my girl is eating nightcrawlers.

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Paddletails are typically very ravenous in the company of live prey. Live blackworms, redworms, or even eathworms are great food choices for them. Just be patient, he will come around if you introduce the right foods.

oatmeal23

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for you help. Well yesterday i changed the tank settings and he loved it. He moves around more now instead of stay in one spot. Now i will try live food. Thank you for your help.:D

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Being more active is not necessarily a positive sign. Staying behind rocks (when not eating or begging or looking for food) is fairly normal for newts. Let us know when you've got him eating. Good luck!

oatmeal23

Reaction score
well now he is eating night crawlers and he is back to staying in one spot unless he is looking for food.

oatmeal23

Reaction score
ok well the other day i got him red worms. I got him 2 eat three of them but i cut them in to smaller pieces so he wouldn't have trouble eating them. I tried feeding him today but he ignored the worms. the last time i feed him was yesterday afternoon.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the temperatures, they don't necessarily need to eat every day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1