Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gold Cynops e. ensicauda

DosJax 12XU

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you've seen the some for sale recently, they are marked as "high gold". To be honest, they didn't look too far from normal to me. This guy is definately above average though. I don't know if it helps to say "No, I've never seen one that gold" but it is definately new to me.

Thanks for posting the picture, he's really cool.

Jake

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you've seen the some for sale recently, they are marked as "high gold". To be honest, they didn't look too far from normal to me. This guy is definately above average though. I don't know if it helps to say "No, I've never seen one that gold" but it is definately new to me.

Thanks for posting the picture, he's really cool.

That's right Bruno, I've seen that ad, and they look no more 'high gold' than ones I've seen members of the forum sell for less than $20 (from what I remember the ones for sale recently were more like $100 each).

Jay- that is definitely a looker you've got there! Hopefully it produces some wicked offspring, keep us posted.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't look like the popei golden spots - it looks like a lack of black pigment.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to say the same thing as John. I wouldn't call it high-gold, I'd call it low-black. When people say a popei is high-gold, that usually means it has a lot of white spots on top of the black color. This one is interesting, but I'd describe the color differently (not sure how).

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Well it raises a number of interesting questions; have you raised this one yourself, did it always have this coloration and why wouldn't any references to C. e. popei apply to this subspecie?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1