Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P.glutinosus housing

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m getting a trio of this species next week and though i think i understand the kind of habitat they need i would apreciate if anyone with experience can tell me if it´s ok, or if i´m wrong.
The substrate would be cocofiber or soil (which one´s best?), about 7/10 cm deep. Then a layer of beech leaves and on top of that, patches of live moss. Also there would be a higher part made with slate stones piled up, and some rotting wood.
Would it be wise to use a "false bottom" to drain the excess water??
I was thinking about adding a local fern, Adiantum capillus-veneris, which is extremely beautiful...would it be ok????

platinum

Reaction score
I've never kept P. glutinosus, but if they're anything like my P. cinereus they'll find their way into the false bottom and you'll rarely see them. Everything else you suggest sounds spot on and similar to my red-back tank, with which I've had no problems.

For drainage I use a layer of pebbles under the substrate of soil and beech leaf litter seperated with a weed screen fabric. The pebbles are exposed for about 3 cms at the front so I can see any accumulation of water which needs draining off. I change part of the leaf litter and soil every few weeks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!