Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

my poor baby..help

tilly

Reaction score
hi everyone ,its great to be apart of this,been looking at your sight for ages, i have 2 axolotol myself and up till now not had any problems with them ,but now i have tryed to be nicer to them give them new gravel,plants filter etc, my female electra is not doing so well, now she has damaged her leg and it looks bad ....help what can i do for her

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hi there. Sorry to hear your axolotl is not doing so well. When you say she has damaged her leg what exactly do you mean. Is it a bite from another axolotl or an injury from something in the tank? Or an infection.
A good description of the symptoms is needed and even better if you can a photograph would be great.
Also a better description of your tank would be good. What sort of gravel have you put in? Have you tested your water conditions? Tell us as much information as you can and hopefully we can help you.

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby...

hi yes thanks for geting back to me my tank is about 2and ahalf foot by about 2foot deep i have two axolotol 1 male 1 female my femail is the hurt 1 i think it was done during a fight , i have had them about 3 years and only just put a filter and gravel in tank, befor they only had air pump and slate, i feed them on blood worm daily and up till now never had a problem, never done any water checks in past and they have been fine , just dont know how to help her leg x boyfreind just taking some photos will try to add them in a bit

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby...pics

dont know how to add the pics i took

rich

Reaction score
I had the same problem when i first joined... When you reply do you click on quick reply? if so, click on the reply buton on the left <<<. once there there should be a button that looks like a paper clip (hold the cursor over it and it should say attach) when the window opens, brows ur comptuer files you wish to upload. Once you have done that click the attche button. After doing this you will have to wait a small while untill the message 'fiels attached' (or something like that) pops up under the files you wish to attach. (thats where i had the problems ... didnt know i had to wait) hope this helps.. and hope the more educated people on this site can help you with ur problem. I would advise you to check your water parameters tho. Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite.. Hope this helps and hope all goes well :)

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby pics ...

can anyone help electra she has a bad leg xx

Attachments

• DSC00779.jpg
    DSC00779.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC00780.jpg
    DSC00780.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC00782.jpg
    DSC00782.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 281

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tilly,

Ouch! The poor baby.

Personally I would remove that new gravel. It looks the size to be ingested by mistake by the axies and the last thing Electra needs is that problem as well. I speak with a certain sadness here as one of my dear ones recently lost his life trying to pass a gravel stone about that size.

For the leg, I would isolate her and perhaps put her in the fridge. The cold water will help her heal. Her damaged leg puts her at a disadvantage with her tank mate - he may 'bully her' in her vulnerable state - but this depends on his 'personality'. If you think they have been in a 'fight' - I would guess he may be aggressive toward her.

I cant quite make out the leg on the photo - is it twisted but intact, or twisted with part severence, or severed completely?

One of my axie's legs was twisted with part severence - I put him in a shallow and narrow container (to inhibit too much movement while healing) with the water just covering his back. I 'set' his damaged leg in the position it would be if it was 'normal' and it healed nicely - I don't know if this was the 'correct' procedure but hey it worked.

Cheers J.

digger

Reaction score
Hi sorry about your misfortune,
firstly as has already been stated that gravel could be harmful, sand or bare bottom would be much safer and easier to clean.
Secondly, you only seem to have one place for your axies to hide out, it is better to provide different places so as they can avoid each other if they wish.
As for the leg i personally would just keep an eye out for infection, if it looks like it is getting infected then salt baths and fridging are the best thing, if it looks ok i would just leave where she is.

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby ... update

hi thanks to all of you for geting back to me, its such a stessfull time electra is like part of our family, i have took her out of the tank today as i noticed a little cotton wool looking fungi on her leg that is injured, i gave her a salt bath and put her in the fridge.... i went to my local fish shop today to pick his brains as he sells axolotol and he said never put in fridge or give salt bath thinks i was chating rubbish,realy cofused me.... but you guys seem to know what you are on about so im sticking with you , her leg looked better after bath, all keep fingers crossed for me thanks again xx

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Tilly welcome to the site,

In their natural habitat axolotls live in glacial fed fed lake and streams so cold is not really an issue for them and salt baths are a great way to treat fungus. I think you have made the right decision to seek advice here.

It can take axies a little while to adapt to habitat changes. I would remove the gravel as it has been stated, the gravel in your photo is of a size that can be ingested by your axie and lead to problems like impaction which can lead to death.

Have a look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of information about all things axolotls.

Kepp up the good work and keep us posted.

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby... update

well hi again its the morning after and electra is still with us after her night in the fridge, and the fungi on her leg looks gone, and i only gave 1 salt bath should i do anymore, she evan ate her bloodworm, i am going to remove the gravel today was not happy with it a couple of weeks ago after looking at the sight and hearing about blockages, had used bits of slate and rocks up till then gonna put them back in , was also wondering if i should treat the tank water for fungi as i took her out as soon as i saw it on her ,cant see any in tank or on my male scofeild so what does you all recomend thanks xx

digger

Reaction score
Hi Tilly, please do continue with the salt baths a couple of times a day for at least the next 3 days, this will ensure you have got all of it.
As for the tank that should be fine as far as fungi goes, just remove the gravel and anyother gunk you find and replace your slate ect.
It might be advisable to check your water parameters and temperature before replacing her though just to be on the safeside.
Good luck and i hope all goes well.

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby update sunday

hi its sunday morning and electras leg is not looking as well as yesterday it now has formed a mass at the foot end and looks like it needs to fall off...will this happen on its own it seems the leg will not be able to sort its self out otherwise, i have noticed more fungi on it also so back to salt bath ,she is still eating well,and is still in the fridge, but got some more pics so you can all give me your advice,as i dont know how her leg can heal like it is,and how much longer she should stay in the fridge thanks guys xxx

Attachments

• DSC00795.jpg
    DSC00795.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00794.jpg
    DSC00794.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC00792.jpg
    DSC00792.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC00798.jpg
    DSC00798.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC00793.jpg
    DSC00793.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 688
  • DSC00801.jpg
    DSC00801.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 641

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hmmm thats a real mess. I think I would be looking down the amputation road, it needs to be taken off above all the injury to leave clean healthy flesh and bone to regrow.
Find a vet is all I can advise, one that preferably has knowledge of caudates or at the very worst reptiles. Let us know how it goes.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Becky too regarding a trip to the vet. I think there is too much risk of infection as it stands, keep the water as clean as possible and carry on with the twice daily water baths until you can be seen.

digger

Reaction score
Me too,
if you leave it as is you will just end up stressing him more, if it did heal it would just be malformed and likely get caught on something in his tank.

tilly

Reaction score
my poor baby .... now what

hi guys. thanks for all the advice, been to look at eletrra the foot is looking abit better no fungi this morning , have been enquiring at vets about amputation noone wants to touch her help.... what should i do , is it safe to do ourself, what would i haveto do , also she seems ok apart from foot looking messed up do i put her back in main tank withher mate yet

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I wouldnt definately NOT put her back in the tank. It may be like showing a red rag to a bull. That sore red flesh is still raw and the other axolotls may find it tempting to try another bite and cause even more damage. Do you honestly think you could amputate the limb yourself?
If its the only option you may have to consider it, but get expert advice first.
Have a read of this link, you may find your answer there or at least you could PM one of the members for advice.... . http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52877&highlight=amputation

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1