Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding mealworms

Babidi

Reaction score
What do you guys usually feed your mealworms for moisture food? I've got a little pile of gut load in the corner of the worms' setup and I've been giving them a new potato slice everyday, but I thought I'd switch things up a little and stick a small piece of lettuce in there.

Does it matter? Do they have any preference? Will one moisture food benefit my newts more when they eat the worms than another?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mealworms aren't really fussy and will eat any organic matter (they'll eat each other given the chance). I tend to keep them in "readybrek" which is a fortified oat cereal and give them a few slices of carrot for moisture. They are not nutritionally complete as a food item and shouldn't be used as a staple. Use the freshly molted worms, which are white, as they'll be softer and more palatable to your newts.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have some mealworms in a small dish with finely chopped up cat food sprinkled with gecko vitamins in my lizard's tank. I put in more mealworms than they would eat, and after a while, they started to breed themselves in there! Absolutely no effort at all! "As easy as falling out of a chair." I occasionally pick out the black bugs (adults) when I'm tidying the tank.

Babidi

Reaction score
Hi again.

I picked up a little tub of cricket drink today, called water jell. It says it has polyacrylamide, copolymer, and water. These mealworms are given to my firebelly and paddletail as treats, so I figured there's no harm in making their treats a little more nutritious, between the cricket drink and the gut load they have with them.

Is this sort of cricket drink any good for them after all, and after fed, good for the newts? They (the worms) seem to really like it, but then again, they're mealworms and would probably eat/drink anything they were given.

Kal El

Reaction score
G'day,

Mealworms can generally be reared on dry wheat bran, oatmeal, or cornmeal. A little dry skim milk powder also helps to boost the reproduction rate.

Jay.

benw

Reaction score
Hi

I use a fair amount of mealworms for other mammals i keep, and i think the main thing is to keep them cool, as they then last for months. Also good food is some catfood, breakfast cereal, porridge, and for moisture friut such as apple,pear but make it non citrus.
Also pick out adult beetles as they release an inhibiting chemical to the other mealworms.

As Mark has stated, use the freshly moulted ones, as the chitinous body is quite thick. I found a ready mixed mealworm diet, which was good, but felt a variation in diet was better.

Hope this is of some use,

Ben

beefsteak

Reaction score
I feed mine dead gut loaded crickets! Just throw one in and listen you can actually hear the crunching. Ten of the larger mealworms, one large cricket gone in under ten minutes! It's also a good way to dispose of dead crickets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!