Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hmmmm, what can I do?

ali000

Reaction score
this is probably a bit cheeky :p
I've got a new tank (4ft) which is currenty cycling so i'm thinking ahead to how i'm going to decorate it,
I have chosen black sand for the substrate (It will show my albino off nicely and not give him too much light glare)
apart from that it's a blank canvas.
So I would LOVE your ideas and/or piccys of really fab set ups (I want it to be Axie paradise:D)

part of me is thinking at one end a sort of layered structure of rocks and slate creating many caves..... but i'm very open to ideas.

:D:D:D

xandert

Reaction score
Since I'm new to axies (currently awaiting the arrival of my first two), I can't be much help with the Axie paradise setup, I'm afraid. But I have a question. WHERE did you find black sand?!? I've seen black gravel here, which I know I don't want. But I haven't seen any colored sand at all. Just the natural beach colored sand.

Dawn T

ali000

Reaction score
Hi, probably not a lot of help to you, but it was at an aquatic centre attached to a garden centre in kent, I guess I could post you some, but it may be a bit expensive as 1 bag is quite heavy. they also had a grey/ash coloured sand which looked really smart and a very white sand. no artificial colours, blue's red's etc.
when looking about I think I saw an online shop selling black sand, I will try and find a link for you, although it's probably u.k based :rolleyes:
sorry I can't be any more help

xandert

Reaction score
I know our local fish supply store doesn't carry that kind of thing (they just carry gravel and marine sand), so I'll check a couple of aquatic centers I know about when I'm in Tucson this coming weekend. It would be great if I could choose somethings besides natural beach sand. My two axies that are coming are supposed to be 1 melanoid and 1 leucistic, so I don't want jet black to make the melanoid disappear, but I'd like to see what other colors I might be able to find. Not only for the axies, but I'm getting ready to set up fish tanks again.

Thanks for the info! :happy:

Dawn T

ali000

Reaction score
the ash coloured would look nice with both
I hope it's not marine sand I bought, it didn't say so on the packet:confused:

good luck on finding what you're after :D

vanillaXtiffy

Reaction score
I've seen different colored reptile sand at pet stores here, but it probably has stuff added into it. Never paid attention to the packaging info because I don't have reptiles. (Yet)

As for the main topic, I've read that they like pvc pipes to hide in. And maybe you could dress it up with some plants.

Blackhawk IV

Reaction score
hi there

answering you're first question ali000 i dont have an axy but i was thinking probably something which vaguely resembled their natural habitat i.e some slate, rocks maybe logs to hide in? a bunch of plants to hide them behind. but if you didnt find that too good then i know someone who in their axolotl tank had coloured aquatic lights to bring out the colours - red, blue and green. i dont know where he got them but they looked pretty cool.

ali000

Reaction score
hubby is thinking of pvc tubes for his cichlid tank (also being updated) main worries are that they float?????? and maybe they leech chemicals into the water???

as for axi tank, probaly wont go for pipes (if hubby is doing it) although like the idea of one or two buried in the sand.

blackhawk...yep, slate and rocks is where my brain is going right now:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!