The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 28th April 2008   #1
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11
Default Reviews in the Works: Who is writing what?

If you want to write a review make a quick note here saying which book and author you will be reviewing so that others know what is being worked on.

If someone listed a book you wanted to write about don't be discouraged! We would love to see multiple reviews and get as many viewpoints as possible on a book. Feel free to write a review for an in progress or finished review and add it to the thread.

To keep this request thread easy to read someone will occasionally go through and delete review claims that are already posted.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008   #2
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11
Default Re: Reviews in the Works: Who is writing what?

I am working on a review of Robert C. Stebbins and Nathan W. Cohen's A Natural History of Amphibians.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008   #3
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I have been planning on writing a review for the Popular Amphibians book by DeVosjoli. If someone else is already working on it then that is OK as well. I can always add my two cents.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Hey Foster,
I started one on deVosjoli, do you want me to go ahead or do you want to do it?

Here's a list I'm working on:

Started already:

Designer Reptiles and Amphibians (Bartlett)
Popular Amphibians (de Vosjoli)
Reptile and Amphibian Problem Solver (Davies)
Encyclopedia of Reptiles and Amphibians (Cogger and Zweifel)
The World's Most Spectacular Reptiles and Amphibians (Lamar)
War with the Newts (Capek)

Children's:
Pip's Magic (Ellen Walsh)
Red Spotted Newt (Doris Cove)

Will start when I finish the above, unless someone else volunteers:
Reps and Amphibs for Dummies
Audubon Reptile and Amphib. guides
A Guide by someone named Gramercy
and a Children's book:
Salamander Rock (Mitter)

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008   #5
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

I have a childrens book called The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer that I'd like to review.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008   #6
Sam
(lims)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Arrow Re: Reviews in the Works: Who is writing what?

I'd like to review "The Case of the Midwife Toad" by Arthur Koestler, it may be a few months though.

Old 27th June 2009   #7
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

So, anyone have any book reviews in the works?
Since I am very quickly becoming addicted to anurans in addition to caudates, I have updated my Amazon order list accordingly. I'll post a few over the next few weeks.

Here is my list so far:

http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/14M8F5X6LKWRB

Please let me know if you have or are in process of reviewing any of these books. Especially if you are lucky enough to posses some of the pricier ones...I would hate to drop a Benjamin Franklin on a bummer of a book.

EDIT: With winter fast approaching, I have updated my "To Read" list. Now if I can just find the time to read!

Last edited by SludgeMunkey; 12th October 2009 at 12:04. Reason: EDIT: Update
SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010   #8
jaster

Nationality:
Rep: jaster has started on the right path

I am about to finish up Amphibian Conservation, edited by R. Semlitsch and will get to a review in the next coming weeks (semester is OVER!).

-Bradley
jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010   #9
Marcus

Nationality:
Rep: Marcus has started on the right path

Hey,

I'd like to write some reviews about some German books which aren't in the list of the foreign language books so far.

Thiesmeier, B., Kupfer, A. & Jehle, R. 2009: Der Kammmolch ein Wasserdrache in Gefahr. 2.Aufl. Bielefeld.

(It's a monograph about the Triturus-cristatus-complex from three famous amphibian explorers. Look here)

Thiesmeier, B. & Schulte, U. 2010: Der Bergmolch im Flachland wie im Hochgebirge zu Hause. Bielefeld.
(This is a monograph about the alpine newt and it's written by famous authors, too. Look here)

Glandt D. 2010: Taschenlexikon der Amphibien und Reptilien Europas Alle Arten von den Kanarischen Inseln bis zum Ural. Wiebelsheim.
(This is a guide to all European herp species. First I thought that this can't be good because of it's not very expensive price but it's the best field-guide for hobby herp explorers I've ever read. Look here)

Greetings,

Marcus

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010   #10
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Sounds good!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews, works, writing