The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Book Reviews Post information about books and articles you have read.

Old 28th April 2008   #1
Abrahm
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 3
Rep: Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11Abrahm goes to 11
Default Request a Book Review

Is there a book you are eying up on Amazon or Abebooks but it doesn't have any reviews? Request a review here and hopefully a Caudata.org member has a copy and can write a review of the text. Give as much information as possible and if a member decides to help you out they can post here to let you know!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | Dawn's Blog
Abrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Request a Book Review

I just saw this on Amazon.

Fossil Salamanders of North America (Life of the Past) (Hardcover)
by J. Alan Holman (Author)

Anyone have/read it?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008   #3
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Just a side note, Al Holman was an awesome guy, and an awesome herpetologist. He passed away a few years ago, and it was very sad for all herpers, but especially those of us at MSU, where he was a professor. I had the opportunity to see him speak before he passed, and I will never forget a frail, 75 year old man making the most deadpan "Brokeback Mountain" jokes about Muir and Audubon.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I just saw this on amazon:

The Ugly Muckling: A Mudpuppy's Tale (Paperback)
by Ethan Kocak (Author)

List Price: $16.99

no other info but I'm intrigued.

Old 29th June 2008   #5
ekocak

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ekocak has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I just saw this on amazon:

The Ugly Muckling: A Mudpuppy's Tale (Paperback)
by Ethan Kocak (Author)

List Price: $16.99

no other info but I'm intrigued.
Hello, I'm the author/illustrator of that book! If you'd like to see some samples from it go here:

www.ticketoutstudios.com and click on E-books

or http://web.mac.com/ekocak/TicketOut/..._Muckling.html

Thanks for noticing it!

ekocak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008   #6
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekocak View Post
Hello, I'm the author/illustrator of that book! If you'd like to see some samples from it go here: ...http://web.mac.com/ekocak/TicketOut/..._Muckling.html
Oh, I really liked that! Very much!

Old 3rd July 2008   #7
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

A note about Al Holman'sand his book - I met Al a few years ago through his involvement in a fossil site the museum I work for was working on (we did the fossil mammals, he did the fossil herps) and he was a fascinating person. I remember him talking about a Dicamptodon ensatus that he kept for many years and is now a skeletised specimen! His book is very interesting, if one is interested in palaeoherpetology as well as recent herpetology. It is the culmination of many years' work and well worth a read.

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2008   #8
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I want to buy one of Raphaelli's books (either Salamandres de l'ancien monde or Les Urodeles de la Monde) and was wondering which people would recommend me to get. I would like to have information on the new world salamanders, but my main interest is in old world caudates - does the info on the latter suffer to accomodate the new world animals into the book?

Thanks

Chris

Old 3rd July 2008   #9
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

I don't know anything about the first book you mentioned, but the second book definitely covers new world salamanders.

Old 3rd July 2008   #10
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Hi Dawn

Sorry, I didn't really write what i meant clearly - I know that Les Urodeles de la Monde has new world caudatwes in it as well as old world, but was wondering how much condensing the info on Old world caudates suffered to get the new world salamanders in as well. Les Salamandres de l'ancien monde has more pages than Les urodeles de la monde.

Sorry for the confusion (i really must re-read my posts before submitting them to make sure they actually say what i think they say!)

Chris

Old 3rd July 2008   #11
John Clare
(John)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I have Jean's book about Old World Salamanders but not the new one. However I believe Amphibiaweb has used many of his accounts from the new book - you can probably get a preview of the sort of "condensation" or lack of it.

Yesterday was Jean's birthday btw.

Old 3rd July 2008   #12
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Thank John. I think I will go for the new one, as it does have good photographic data, which I believe the first book is a bit wanting in. Is jean a member of the site?

Chris

Old 3rd July 2008   #13
John Clare
(John)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
Is jean a member of the site?
Yes he is: http://www.caudata.org/forum/member.php?u=2294
And here is the thread on his book (nice reading).

Addendum: Actually there are photos of pages from the new book in that thread.

Old 28th July 2009   #14
Cruso

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Cruso has started on the right path

I just decided to buy Herpetology: An Introductory Biology of Amphibians and Reptiles, Third Edition but I've only been able to find a few reviews, so I would like to see a thorough one of that.

--------------
edit: by George R. Zug (Author), Laurie J. Vitt (Author), Janalee P. Caldwell (Author) (always good to know)

Last edited by Otterwoman; 28th July 2009 at 20:54. Reason: added authors
Cruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2010   #15
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Has anyone ever read "The Pepperwood Creek Affair" by the biologist Twitty written in 1966? I read a description of it in The ecology & behavior of amphibians by Kentwood David Wells. Has anyone ever read this and know where to find it?

Here's a reference to the reference:
The ecology & behavior of amphibians - Google Books

another reference to it:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/4606767

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 9th January 2010   #16
The World's Strongest Scientist
(lexmiller)

Nationality:
Rep: lexmiller has started on the right path

What about the book "Petersen's Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians"?

Old 22nd January 2010   #17
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Has anyone ever read "The Pepperwood Creek Affair" by the biologist Twitty written in 1966?
I got the book that this appears in and will be reviewing it soon! I think it's going to be GREAT! It's from a book called Of Scientists and Salamanders and is a sort of autobiography of his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexmiller View Post
What about the book "Petersen's Field Guide to Western Reptiles and Amphibians"?
As far as Peterson's, the Eastern guide has been reviewed, and I have the Western now as well, and everything holds true that was written about the Eastern guide, except there are different species treated. It's excellent!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Old 21st December 2014   #18
Jake Hutton

Nationality:
Rep: Jake Hutton has shown reliable knowledge

Has anybody read this bookCommunity Ecology and Salamander Guilds (Cambridge Studies in Ecology) by Nelson G. Hairston ?

I came across it on amazon a few days ago and haven't had much luck finding any reviews. Thanks.

Jake Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2015   #19
mrmorrell

Nationality:
Rep: mrmorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested if anyone is familiar with either of these books ...
Axolotl. Facts & Information: A Complete Pet Owner's Guide. Lolly Brown
Axolotls, Mexican Salamanders as Pets. Axolotls care, facts, diet, aquarium, habitat, breeding, diseases and where to buy all included. The Axolotl Complete Owner's Guide.
Elliott Lang

mrmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book, request, review