Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

To Much Heart?

moony1988

Reaction score
Hi all,
im new this site, and i hate to introduce myself with a problem but i fed one of my axies a bit a beef heart which was a bit to big, and after struggling with it to my surprise he actually got it down.... But since swallowing it he hasn't moved, except to hide under a rock where he has been for a couple of hours, (which for him is really not normal for this time of day).

It was the first time i have ever fed my axies heart, and he has a lump on his stomach where the food is, so im sure it wasn't stuck in his throat or anything.. but im so stressed... i just thought if it was to big of a piece he just wouldn't swallow it.

Is there anything i can do? I softly touched his tail to see if he would run away and there was no response. I'm hoping it is normal because he is just digesting such a large piece of heart. What do you guys think?

Moony

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Maybe he has a bit of indigestion and feels a bit too fat and uncomfortable to move. You may find some of it will be regurgitated later.
Smaller strips will be taken easier by your axolotl, although they will grab at anything regardless of its size.
Try cutting it into worm sized strips next time you feed. Better still try feeding it earthworms if you can get some. If you feel they are too large you can always cut them in half.

seedy

Reaction score
Hi and welcome moony
I was just checking the spelling of your name and I see gr33neyes has answered your question.
Worms are the way to go , check your local fishing tackle store , you should be able to get a tub for about $5-7 and it should last over a month , just dont let them dry out.

Levo

Reaction score
But I have found that after feeding time my axolotl will have a time out and I am feeding my earthworms. I think just like anyone after they are eating they don't tend to want to do anything to taxing.

Earthworms would be the better food to feed your axolotl, but I don't think your axolotl is ill, just trying to digest that heart.

moony1988

Reaction score
Yeah i have fed my axies earth and frozen blood worms since i got them. However after walking past the butchers shop, i thought i might give them a bit of beef heart just to mix it up a bit.

I really hope he regurgitates some of it, ill never forgive myself if i lose him. Silly me, for some reason i cut the beef heart to the same of a frozen blood worm cube forgetting that the cubes break up and are mostly frozen moister anyway.:(

Thanks for the quick replies, you have given me some hope!

Moony

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I doubt he'll die from overindulgence. It's just like you eating a large meal. You'll sit and digest and do a lot of nothing. No one runs a marathon after eating a turkey dinner.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1