Eyeless Alpestris Larva?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've found an alpestris larvae with no pigmentation in it's eye. I can't tell if the eye even structurally exists.

Normal larva
IMG_2745.jpg

Oddball larva - it's the same age as the above larva but doesn't look as well developed to me. It's siblings all have normal eyes - even ones that haven't hatched. I wonder how it will develop...
IMG_2748.jpg

PS. I knocked it on to it's side for the purposes of the photo.

I wonder how it will develop...

Not well, is the answer. It was dead a few hours after this photo was taken. Seems odd it came so far with such a massive defect.

Hi Mark
2 years ago I had a salamandra larva wich was born leucistic and had no eyes or mouth...actually it didn't have a face! It was also shorter than the others and was always in a curled position. It came from the same batch of the other leucistic one I posted the photos of. I put it to sleep cos there was no chance of it surviving. That year 7 larvae out of 21 were leucistic and except for the one in the picture all had other mutations, for example one had one eye smaller than the other. This year the same female produced another 14 larvae wich were all normal in colour and shape. The father was the same one for both gorups. I really can't explain it cos if the cause was to be explained with the genetics then how come this year out of 14 larvae none show any mutation in colour or shape...very strange

I am in the process of hatching a batch of some 60 waltl.

of 28 or so that have hatched...3 appear to either lack eyes or have very undeveloped ones.

This is genetic correct? Guess it will take some careful breeding to eliminate this.

I am in the process of hatching a batch of some 60 waltl.

of 28 or so that have hatched...3 appear to either lack eyes or have very undeveloped ones.

The key word here is 'appear'. They are probably just premature hatchlings that haven't developed as much as the others. If they truely are eyeless the I'd consider you lucky because none of their sibbling from numberous spawnings have been eyeless. Take pics if they are!

Their is one in particular that I'm thinking may well be. Where the eyes should be are just blank spots.

I'll take a photo and we'll see.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back