Great Crested Newt at Risk in Priddy

priddy mendip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mendip Farmers' Hunt have bought Underbarrow Farm in Priddy next to the Priddy Mineries SSSI, which has Great Crested Newts. They plan to build kennels for 60 hounds, a flesh house to dispose dead animals and a either a store for their waste or an incinerator. The large amount of pollution generated by this busines will badly affect the habitat of the Great Crested Newt. Please take a look at http://www.priddy-canine.org.uk/

Great crested newts and their habitats are protected by schedule 5 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Any activity, whether it be dog exercising or pollution, that damages their habitat would be deemed illegal.

Last edited:
It may be the case that the Great Crested Newt is protected, but Mendip District Council doesn't have a wildlife officer, so unless people object to planning for kennels, when plans are submitted, it will be too late when they move on. The chairman of Mendip Farmers' Hunt Point to Point is on the planning committee.

You don't need a wildlife officer to uphold the law. Mendip District Council should already have policies that protect the area and their planning dept are required to consult Natural England about any development that may impact on an SSSI (even if its not in the SSSI; the development could be miles away). Newts in an SSSI effectively get double protection, although it may be worth making sure the council and Natural England know they are there.

surely they will need to get a survey done before going ahead with any building. If you have any doubts get in touch with Graeme skinner at naturally wild consultants based in Guisborough, cleveland he is an expert in these matters and takes the welfare of great crested newts VERY seriously.

Thanks for the tip. Do you have an email address for Graeme skinner. I can't find it on the web.
Thanks

Let us know how this goes—I'd like to know if us environmentalists and little people really can make a difference! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back