Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bufo melanostictus

freves

Reaction score
So I did something that I always preach against this past weekend and picked up a couple of animals on impulse. I ran a google search and could not find much in the way of detailed care information. Does anyone have experience with this species? Also, any links to good websites would be appreciated as well. Thanks.
Chip

gbhil

Reaction score
Black stripe toads can be kept just like tomato frogs. Peat/coir/sphag. moss/leaf litter substrate. Temps about 75F in the daytime, down to 60 at night is OK. Cork flats or other suitable hides would be appreciated, one per animal at each end of the tank. Minimum tank I'd use is a 20 long for two to three animals, as they can get decent sized. They need no UV lighting, and as with most 'phibs enjoy dim lighting rather than bright.

Keep one corner fairly moist via regular misting, but not soaked. The toads will humi-regulate (is that a word?...should be in any case :) ) on their own.

Water bowl large enough for soaking, but shallow enough for them to stand in as they aren't the best swimmers.

Males will call and develop a black throat when in season, other than that sexing is difficult at best. Will need a large shallow pool with a 'rainy season' of daily spraying for a few weeks/months to induce breeding. Eggs must be removed or they will get eaten.

Typical toad eaters - anything that fits. I have raised them on a diet of 90% earthworms, 10% field sweeps, with Zoo-Med reptivite with D3 once per week.

One final more personal note - like other larger frogs/toads they can have quite an attitude and would enjoy biting the tips of your fingers. No true teeth, but startling if unprepared.

Have fun with them - they are quite entertaining little critters.

freves

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information. They were sold as "Java Toads" but I remembered admiring them on internet ads identifying them as B. melanostictus. I know very little about Bufo identification but they do seem to match most of the pics on the internet. I took the last three that the dealer had. One did not look good from the start and died the next day. I have the other two setup in a quarantine container at the moment with damp paper towels and a few hides. Both seem to be eating well. Do you know if this species is a known carrier of the chytrid fungus? This was my only concern in regards to having them near my other animals (I am using separate utinsels and practicing good handwashing however). Thanks again.
Chip

Lasher

Reaction score
There are a few amphibian related publications I keep an eye on, I dont recall reading of any cases in Bufo melanostictus, but I'll admit I havent invstigated in any depth.
I do recall a number of articles listing deaths attributed to chytrid in Bufo bufo, Bufo calamita and of other Bufonidae so I expect it is possible.

gbhil

Reaction score
You're most welcome.
Unfortunately, B. melanostictus wild populations in Malaysia have been discovered with a fungal disease that causes an acute lethal inflammatory reaction. I've never heard 100% that this is chytrid, but it sure sounds similar. I would assume they can carry, and continue to take precautions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1