T. pygmaeus

TristanH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, some snaps of my T. pygmaeus for your enjoyment. The larvae are this years and doing very well now - I had a disaster with an earlier batch due to low oxygen during a sunny spell (I think). I've now installed an air pump and they're doing very well on a Daphnia diet.

Picture of proud mum also attached (actually I think she's just hoping for the next worm). Both my females are very tame and/or greedy depending on your point of view, taking slugs, worms and even dried food from my finger. Actually, they'll strike at my finger if I put it in the water. The males are a bit shyer and generally have to be coaxed a bit more, but are also hand tame.

Tristan

Attachments

• P1010840.jpg
    P1010840.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 388
  • P1010846.jpg
    P1010846.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 276
  • P1010857.jpg
    P1010857.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 238
  • P1010858.jpg
    P1010858.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 238
Hi all, some snaps of my T. pygmaeus for your enjoyment. The larvae are this years and doing very well now - I had a disaster with an earlier batch due to low oxygen during a sunny spell (I think). I've now installed an air pump and they're doing very well on a Daphnia diet.

Picture of proud mum also attached (actually I think she's just hoping for the next worm). Both my females are very tame and/or greedy depending on your point of view, taking slugs, worms and even dried food from my finger. Actually, they'll strike at my finger if I put it in the water. The males are a bit shyer and generally have to be coaxed a bit more, but are also hand tame.

Tristan

Nice update. What are the sizes of your adults?

Steve, the females are about 6cm snout-vent, 11cm including tail (hard to get an exact measurement as they wriggle a lot). I've had them for about a year now and they haven't grown in that time.

Do you have 'normal' marbleds? How do they compare?

Tristan

those are some great shots of the larvae! how did you get such contrast?

Awww! Those tadpole-style larvae are so cute! He probably put something black behind it for the photos.

The common name for this one is Pygmy Crested, right? She's pretty.

I took these photos in the dark, but turned off the flash as this doesn't give a nice effect. I used a torch for lighting, shining it from the side of the aquarium so there wasn't too much reflection. The torch doesn't quite give enough light to illuminate them fully, but by underexposing the photos a bit, I managed to get a useable shutter speed (around 1/45 sec). I then compensated a bit for the underexposure by using the levels function on my photo processing software (nothing fancy, just iPhoto).

Tristan

Steve, the females are about 6cm snout-vent, 11cm including tail (hard to get an exact measurement as they wriggle a lot). I've had them for about a year now and they haven't grown in that time.

Do you have 'normal' marbleds? How do they compare?

Tristan
My normal Marbled are immature and only about 85mm total length

As you can see the largest larvae are getting pretty big now (sorry for the poor quality pic). They are very greedy (I believe all Triturus are?) and are not above taking bites out of each others' gills. Fortunately all can breathe air now as well, so this doesn't seem a big problem. They are fed on a diet of mayfly larvae, freshwater shrimp, bloodworms and other wrigglers I collect from our local moorland stream. They seem to do very well on this and are as fat as carp!

In the last few days I've noticed that their tail fin crest is starting to get noticeably lower, and they're developing an orange vertebral stripe (visible on the photo). I suspect they may start to emerge in the next month or so. Fingers crossed....

Tristan

Attachments

• DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 244
Hey, nice pics and nice newts. Used to have these, mine were really shy, agile, quick and superb climbers. Nice to see that someone is breeding them. Beautiful newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back