Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats the best food for tiger salamanders?

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Mine are in the aquatic stage, but there big, about 9 inches I'd say. I've been giving them night crawlers and bits of shrimp.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A neotenic population is a group of breeding tiger salamanders that do not morph. It's not something you can do in captivity.

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
New question

I have two tigers and one horned frog, the smaller species. I haven't seen any problems with them yet, they lay all over each other. One time the tigers were on either side with their arms around the frog. I'm wondering if this is a horrible idea or did I get lucky? If so I was wondering about adding a narrow mouthed toad to the mix, does anyone know how big the maylasian species gets? The one I can gets' body is about 4 inches. Tigers are probably 9 to 10 inches and the horned is 4 inches as well. Also how big do tigers get and does their color change as they age?

Last edited:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: New question

Also how big do tigers get and does their color change as they age?

Tigers can reach lengths of 12+ inches. In my personal observation, I have seen some tigers change color as they age. What might begin as well demarkated spots, may evolve into narrow spots or bands as the backgound color becomes dominate.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: New question

You're probably keeping both of these species at sub-optimal temperatures. Horned frogs are tropical, while tiger salamanders will die at temperatures exceeding 75-80F. Horned frogs and tigers are both voracious predators, and both will probably try to eat the other whenever given the chance. This is a horrible idea.

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Well,that is strange cause they have been together for about 2 months and the only problem I have had was the tiger put his head between the frog and a cricket and bit the tigers head. At the same time the frog acted all depressed and would not get close to the tiger for a few hours. Sorry for my weird writing I am using my Wii.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah... Once the horned frog is big enough, more than the head of the tiger sal will fit in its mouth.

Not to mention that Ceratophrys should be kept at around 80F, and that's warm enough to kill a tiger sal.

pimpmastersmak

Reaction score
Well, just since winter hit about mid point, both my tigers have been staying in the water almost indefinetly. The male gets out maybe once a week and the female doesn't get out at all. I was wondering if this was a sign of breeding or just normal for the colder months of the year? Could this mean babies if so will their feeder goldfish eat up all the eggs and larve? Also is there anything I can do to promote breeding in this situation, thing is they are in a small 29 gallon tank, part land part water, but I made sure they get deep water cause they seem to like it more than land. The water is about 6 and a half inches deep.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1