Low 60s to cold?

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I just setup a 20 tall tank for FBNs about a week ago and I have some questions. The biggest question is I have the tank in the basement and its fairly cool year round. I'm seeing 61 - 63 degrees all the time. Is this too cold for these newts? I can have a heater I can use if I needed to bump it up to mid to high sixties but I don't want to if I don't need to. Will this affect breeding?

Second question is that I have a small internal filter in the tank and I have it over a huge rock trickling over it (kinda like a waterfall, it slows the water down a little). I saw that these guys don't like moving water at all and can actually get stressed by it. If I have the tank 1/3 to 1/2 full do I even need the filter by doing 20% water changes every week?

Thank for your help

Mitch

(I accidentally put this in the general help forum)

That temps sound good to me. They may be a little less active, but they will sure enjoy it. At those temps it´s eassy they will breed too.
About the pump, i´d say you could get rid of it as long as the tank is very well planted. With the water changes and a little cleaning every now and then, a well planted aquarium can be just perfect. You can also use all the space, not just 1/3.

Good to hear, thanks for the help. I going to ditch the filter and get a lot more plants. I want a very natural look and feel to my tank for these guys. I only added I filter cause I though they were messy. What plants do you use in your setup?

Well, i have lots of Elodea, there´s also a Microsorum, some anubias, lots of Java moss, a Cabomba and some duckweed. Those work fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back