Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger draws blood

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just when you thought you had seen it all... As the photo says, this is the first time in 8 years of keeping one that a tiger salamander managed to draw blood. It should be made clear that these animals do not bite human beings of their own accord - I fooled the animal into thinking my finger was food as a demonstration to someone - the animal almost immediately let go as soon as it realized its mistake. Tiger salamanders are probably the tamest amphibian in captivity and one of the least likely to cause harm to a person.

Lasher

Reaction score
Congratulations?
Interesting, I wasnt aware they had the power to break skin(unlike a particular pacman frog with a taste for freshly pierced nipples I could mention). Looks like a paper cut, how does it feel?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it feels somewhat like a papercut.

Jake

Reaction score
Well done John! That's a mighty beast you've raised over there!

Who needs guard dogs when you've got A.mavortium?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What a monstrous tiger it must be! I had a similar cut from a leopard gecko (a male, trying to impress the ladies, no doubt), but never a tiger. Crazy!

flyangler18

Reaction score
I must say, that is quite impressive! The level of tameness achieved with tigers never ceases to amaze me- and my oldest male has been with me for 6 years.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this since and I seem to recall he might have managed to wriggle from side to side - essentially making a slight sawing motion and so making it possible to pierce the skin.

eros719

Ambystoma Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats pretty amazing. :eek: Even with a 'sawing' motion none of mine have done that kind of damage. My biggest grabbed onto my index finger once and wouldn't let go, he started doing almost a crocodilian death roll with it. Took him a couple minutes to let go but no blood.

issac NEWTon

Reaction score
i didnt even know they had teeth, i thought it was sort of like sandpaper or something.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!