Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Test strips

Terri9967

Reaction score
I am heading to the local pet store to get more fake plants for my tank before my babies arrive on tuesday. I want to get test strips as well. Any recommendations on what kind to get and as my local pet shop does not know about axolotls what should the readings be to make sure my water is safe for them?

I did add the water conditioner as directed. I only set my tank up yesterday so I know I will have to do 20% water change daily.

Also wondering if I should keep my babies in the refigerator till the cycling occurs naturally???

My husband thinks its so cute to see me so excited about getting my axolotls after waiting so many years to do it. :eek:

After reading so much on this site, I seen that the person I am getting my babies from is actually a member on here!! So cool.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Terri,

I am heading to the local pet store to get more fake plants for my tank before my babies arrive on tuesday. I want to get test strips as well. Any recommendations on what kind to get and as my local pet shop does not know about axolotls what should the readings be to make sure my water is safe for them?

My strong recommendation is NOT TO GET TEST STRIPS - test strips are notorious for giving woefully inaccurate readings. I would get the liquid test kits - they are much better and you really do need accuracy.

Ammonia and Nitrite are the important tests - both should read as zero.

As you are cycling the water with your axies, you will need to test the water daily and keep a close eye on the readings - any reading higher than zero is toxic to an axie - the 20% daily water changes as advised in previous posts will keep this under control.

I did add the water conditioner as directed. I only set my tank up yesterday so I know I will have to do 20% water change daily.

Yep, good.

Also wondering if I should keep my babies in the refigerator till the cycling occurs naturally???.

Nope, not good. Your tank needs those axies in order to cycle 'naturally' - the babies will be doing the hard work by eating and their waste will be cycling the tank for you. :D As advised above, ensure you test water daily and daily water change 20% and your babies will be fine. You'll be doing this for a while I'm afraid, cycling can take a couple to a few months to complete - A little long for them to live in the fridge! ;)

My husband thinks its so cute to see me so excited about getting my axolotls after waiting so many years to do it. :eek:.

Just wait till he sees you with test kits - my nearest and dearest get a good giggle when they see me fiddling with test tubes.

After reading so much on this site, I seen that the person I am getting my babies from is actually a member on here!! So cool.

Excellent! ;)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My strong recommendation is NOT TO GET TEST STRIPS - test strips are notorious for giving woefully inaccurate readings. I would get the liquid test kits - they are much better and you really do need accuracy.

Ammonia and Nitrite are the important tests - both should read as zero.
I agree, the liquid test kits are better.
As you are cycling the water with your axies, you will need to test the water daily and keep a close eye on the readings - any reading higher than zero is toxic to an axie - the 20% daily water changes as advised in previous posts will keep this under control.

Nope, not good. Your tank needs those axies in order to cycle 'naturally' - the babies will be doing the hard work by eating and their waste will be cycling the tank for you. :D As advised above, ensure you test water daily and daily water change 20% and your babies will be fine. You'll be doing this for a while I'm afraid, cycling can take a couple to a few months to complete - A little long for them to live in the fridge! ;)
From what Terri was saying, my interpretation was that she going to cycle the tank w/o the axies in it. Either way is OK, as long as it's managed carefully.

Considering the young age of the axies, I agree that putting them in the fridge wouldn't be the best idea. They need to keep growing, and they won't grow at that temp.

How large is the tank? And how large (and how many) are the axies? If the tank is quite ample, then cycling with the axies in place is probably your best bet.

Terri9967

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input.

My tank size is 30x12x12

I dont know how big the babies are, as they are not here till Tuesday but, they hatched in Jan. I am getting 2, one white and one gold.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!