Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What are they?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Oh my goodness they are just so beautiful!

Can someone please tell me what they are? If you look closely enough, you can probably also tell me what I need to do next in preparing a healthy environment for them..?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMGP0737.jpg
    IMGP0737.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMGP0738.jpg
    IMGP0738.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMGP0743.jpg
    IMGP0743.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 144

Nathan050793

Reaction score
It looks to me like an unhealthy, larval tiger salamander (A.tigrinum).

They are pretty cool looking, aren't they?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Oh, I wrote that because it looked to me like they had pretty shrunken gills and seemed skinny. Maybe it's just me though, or it could be that they are morphing (it's hard to tell from the pictures).

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Is morphing unhealthy? Or, asked otherwise, is it easy to confuse an unhealthy animal with one that is morphing? These lovelies come (were rescued) from a pet shop. Information on their gernerally noticeable stats as to species, health, stadium of development, etc., would be truly very appreciated!

Connie

Reaction score
Hey Nathan,
These pictures are of one salamander (so we think-the salamander part). It is mine. It was a rescue from a pet store a few days ago. All I know for sure is, they said it was a Water Dog. I asked them to give it to me so I could try to save it. It was in a "full" tank of feeders and it's gills were getting eaten up. I brought it to their attention and they moved it to the next tank over with fewer, but larger fish. I went back 2 days later to check on it and the gills were gone and I could see the fish nibbling. Some of the skin on the arms was also missing. They gave it to me. I set up a new tank for it right away. It was already starting to develop the fungus on the eaten areas. I've been treating with salt baths the last few days. The fungus is almost gone. It is eating earth worms, so I think that is a good sign. So here I am trying to learn really fast what to do to save and care for this little creature.
Connie

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Is morphing unhealthy? Or, asked otherwise, is it easy to confuse an unhealthy animal with one that is morphing?

No, metamorphosis ( The transformation from larva to adult) is perfectly natural and healthy in most newts and salamanders. I only mentioned morphing because that could've explained the shrunken gills.

Connie- Thanks for the background info, it explains the reasons for the salamander's condition. It is definitely a Tiger salamander if it was sold to you as a 'Water dog'. It sounds like you are taking very good care of it so far, I hope the treatments help; eating is a good sign. Good Luck!:D

P.S.
Caudata Culture has an entire page devoted to the care requirements for adult tiger salamanders and their larva A.K.A 'water dogs', I suggest giving it a thorough read if you have any questions.

Connie

Reaction score
Thanks Nathan. Now that I know for sure what it is, I will do that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1