Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

T. shanjing breeding success

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Well, after trying a bunch last year, I've finally gotten eggs from my T. shanjings. Curiously, the majority of the eggs were laid on land, though there are a few in the water and I'm sure they'll be laying more there.

It sure feels nice to get a hoped for but still unexpected success after this year's apparent failure with my Necturus. Well, there's always next year!

tshanjingeggs.jpg

tshanjingeggs2.jpg

freves

Reaction score
Good for you Peter. It's interesting that they layed on land. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for my groups.
Chip

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Peter, that's super!:love:

They laid those eggs suspended up in the plants like that? What, you've got flying shanjing??:angel:

Jake

Reaction score
Congratulations Peter!

I've heard from another breeder that it's common for a lot of the eggs to be laid on land.

Good luck with them, and with the necturus next year;)

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Congratulations, Peter. It is nice and interesting to see! Good luck with the larvae.

rigsby

Reaction score
well done Peter, i have five females and they all laid their eggs on damp moss on land last year, i just removed them every day and placed them in pond water.

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, guys. I was pretty glad to get the eggs, and they're laying a bunch more; mostly on plants and leaves on land, and even a few on another newt. I'd expected land laying, but not to this degree; I can't find very many eggs at all in the water, even though they're hanging out there a lot.

Chip- try putting their enclosure in the shower (covered so water doesn't get in) and then run cold water for 30 an hour a few times a day. Did the trick for me, though I also stuck them in the fridge this winter.

Jen- Yes, that's another part of my strategy. Newt jet packs. But yeah, that's where they laid them, oddly enough.

Hopefully the eggs will be good, I think they are at least.

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Congratulations Peter!

Its quite normal for shanjing to lay their eggs on land. The last two years that I've bred mine, I've provided lots of damp moss which has been covered in eggs. They also seem to quite like laying on Elodea (underwater) in the stereotypical newt style as well.

Best of luck with raising them!

Attachments

• PICT6400.JPG
    PICT6400.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 463
  • PICT6413.JPG
    PICT6413.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 69803.jpg
    69803.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 397

petro

Reaction score
Hoi,
It's normal that the egg,s are on the land.Don't putt them in the water!!!
They need a lot of air to grow in the egg's and the possebility of dying(dead)
is 99 procent when they lay in the water!!
I keep the eggs on tisseu's between water and air(almost in the water)
When de larve coming out off the egg's,they can directly go in the water.
Make shore there are no obstakels between land and water and keep everything
wett!
Petro

petro

Reaction score
Hoi,
It's normal that the egg,s are on the land.Don't putt them in the water!!!
They need a lot of air to grow in the egg's and the possebility of dying(dead)
is 99 procent when they lay in the water!!
I keep the eggs on tisseu's between water and air(almost in the water)
When de larve coming out off the egg's,they can directly go in the water.
Make shore there are no obstakels between land and water and keep everything
wett!
Petro

I see that de messages are from a year ago :(,i didn't see.:eek:
But what wrote is what i no now,so that's all right.:D

newtboyuk

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi Petro,

Great to hear so many people are breeding T. shanjing!

My newts have seemed happy to lay eggs both in the water and outside it. Its quite interesting that you say there is such a high death rate if eggs are left in the water. I have often moved the terrestrial eggs into shallow tubs of water for convenience, the vast majority of which have hatched without problems.

I might try an experiment next time to see if I get a higher hatch rate if i keep some terrestrially.

All the best!

petro

Reaction score
What can i say,i will not try it in the water.Thease are my first eggs and have
99 procent larve from them.I expecting egg's,at least eggs from one more of my lady,s
Can somebody tell my how to bring them up.With that i mean;wat's the best way to let
them in the water untill they are big enough.(or bigger!:D)
Petro

petro

Reaction score
Hi Petro,

Great to hear so many people are breeding T. shanjing!

My newts have seemed happy to lay eggs both in the water and outside it. Its quite interesting that you say there is such a high death rate if eggs are left in the water. I have often moved the terrestrial eggs into shallow tubs of water for convenience, the vast majority of which have hatched without problems.

I might try an experiment next time to see if I get a higher hatch rate if i keep some terrestrially.

All the best![/quote)

Hoi Mark,
It is not a high deadt rate what i hat,they wer al just dead.:(
Petro

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post an update. The eggs are doing well, though laying has slowed down considerably, making me think only one or two of the females were doing the laying, unless there's a bunch in the water (there are some, but it's hard to see there well).

Here's a photo I took today; I apologize for the dirt on the egg, I tried to pull it off but that stuff is mostly stuck tight. Kinda ruins the photo though.

06-01-08055.jpg

Regarding Petro, I think your problem may have been some sort of water quality issue, because all of the eggs that were developing for me previously are still doing well in the water. I suspect a hatch will occur this week and will try to get new photos.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Perhaps Peter's water is more oxygenated than usual?

In any case, congratulations on the successful breeding! Here's hoping for more shanjinglings.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 回复: T. shanjing breeding success

Well done, Peter. I have hatched Tylototriton shanjing eggs in the water, no problem (I wasn't the breeder though). I hatched and raised them in exactly the same manner as Tylototriton verrucosus, but the larvae metamorphosed at considerably smaller sizes than my verrucosus and were much less willing to stay aquatic.

petro

Reaction score
Hai,
I'm wondering Peter?
What's the time from laying the eggs till hatching?:confused:
Of course the eggs who were layed by jou.:rolleyes:
Petro.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!