Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggsplosion

featherbutt

Reaction score
last night a female started laying, and another started eating her eggs, then that one started laying eggs..... then ANOTHER female laid eggs.
as many as four might have laid last night, so the tank is just slathered in spawn. this is going to be a huge hassle to clean up. im going to prepare a bubbler in a 30 gal outside. when they hatch, im going to the pond and bail a bunch of water through a screen to remove preditors then through a nylon stocking to collect food-size life forms. this way i will always have enough food.

ill have to put the tank in the shade as it gets pretty hot here in the summer,
anywaym heres the mess i have to clean up.

Attachments

• IMG_3439.jpg
    IMG_3439.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 262

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Re: eggsplosion

My my, Mitch, you must have quite a Romeo in there! ;)

featherbutt

Reaction score

more like Ron Jeremy.

for those unaccustomed to finding the aftermath of an orgy....
this is a picture of a spermatophore that has had the sperm capsule removed (by a female)

Attachments

• IMG_3442.jpg
    IMG_3442.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

blueberlin

Reaction score

I had to look up Ron Jeremy. He looks like he has gills, too, eh? (No offense to our amphibious friends.)

featherbutt

Reaction score

thats a mustache, or maybe you're referring to the jowells, or the frizzy quasi-afro.

one time i quoted ron jeremy (with florish) at a Halloween party at the exact moment when everyone stopped talking so everyone heard me. there was 5 seconds of silence that was broken with a female voice saying "OMG thats so hot!"

It was a particularly dirty thing to say.....thats all i will say, I believe it was from the movie "crystal balls" which a friend showed my from his parents stash when i was 14.

blueberlin

Reaction score

Well I hope you got her number! hehehe

The only time I ever silenced a room full of people was when I mentioned to the architects helping us with our new house that I had eaten squirrel. Guess nobody here in Germany was ever married to a redneck who didn't "bag" any rabbits...

I still can't believe you have three girls laying at once. Must look like Christmas in New York with all of those shiny ornaments dangling.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi Mitch!

Oh wow, eggsplosion indeed....

Oh my goodness!

I think you did it to yourself though ;), it's such a beautiful tank set up you have it made them just a little TOO happy in paradise.

I'll give my three axies a firm talking to tonight to ensure it doesnt happen to me! :eek: I've been lucky for the past five years, one male, two females, may my luck continue....

Cheers Jacq.

featherbutt

Reaction score

well, I couldn't reach alot of them, couldn't see others.
I'll catch them when they hatch (or the adults will, whatever)
Just the hazards of being born axolotl.
heres a pic of what I salvaged.
fortunately I live right next to an oxbow full of nematodes, daphnea, and other such tasty things a salamander larvae would eat, I've got about 15-20 days to come up with a harvesting method and one or more community basins to infest with these guys. (maybe ill splurge on some suplus fiberglass bins)

Attachments

• IMG_3444.jpg
    IMG_3444.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 247

Dani512

Reaction score

Wow I thought I had alot when my girl laid her eggs this morning...

Good luck raising those wee guys

featherbutt

Reaction score

distribution to various interested parties.
what i can't get rid of, will be a gift to a lady I know who has a verry deep and elaborate water garden.

I'm curious to see how they fare the winter.

blueberlin

Reaction score

I guess more interesting (and imminent) would be to see how they fare the summer. If the pond does not freeze solid, they should survive winter fine.

featherbutt

Reaction score

well, the last bunch i had didn't make it because the food source i thought i had ran out faster than it could replenish itself, and then i had to move, who thought such small larvae could completely wipe out an entire population of daphnea.
what survived that didn't survive the move, I don't know how the ones I released in someones water garden fared, i assume the fish probably ate most of them.
but now that I've moved I have the oxbow next door and stable water conditions available.
so this time around I expect to succeed in raising a few.

I need to re-seal my 30gal, then I'm going to set that up with filter and bubbler along with a few buckets of milfoil and other local pond plants (noticeable predators removed) once they reach the 4-leg stage.

I have no problem hatching them, or feeding them, And I'm basically doing the same thing I know someone else did, and it worked for them easily.

So I'm being optimistic.

If I get the hang of this i might even be able to supplement my income by supplying to pet suppliers in my province. But frankly, what I really want is to have a colony of axies in a great big outdoor water feature. all females, of all different color types. Ill keep my males separate to control breeding.

I thought maybe if i had a good supply, I could use them to barter for equipment at local water-garden suppliers, I'm sure they would make welcome additions to peoples ponds.

I still haven't been able to acquire leucitstics or albinos, but one step at a time.

now, a more serious consideration I have is feral axolotls, see, here in BC we have Ambystoma mavortium var. melanostictum. and they are redlisted. I frequently encounter paedomorphs in remote protected pools. The odds of axolotls finding there way INTO any of these pools and breeding with native salamanders is low, as pools near human dwellings are already infested with game fish.

Still, If someone chose to take a bucket of axolotls, and dump them in say, mahoney lake (where the unique geologic conditions prevent fish from surviving but allows salamanders to thrive)
then the axolotls would likely breed into the native tiger salamander population.

You often see red eared turtles in duck ponds so you know people dump unwanted pets. but you never see them in remote ponds, just roadside ponds and in parks, heck, i have them in my oxbow.

even the oxbow should be considered as a potential infestation spot. there are no tiger salamanders in it (at least that I'm aware of) because it was never a habitat for them, it was once a river with salmon, only cut off a few decades ago by the construction of the channel. (which is technically a "canal") In this way it mirrors the conditions of the remnants of lake xochimilco, the last standing natural habitat of axolotls (plus winter freeze)

TECHNICALLY if a population began there, it would be cut-off from tiger salamander populations as the water is trapped and and morphed migration would encounter game-fish infested waters before it could reach a viable tiger habitat. Being the only standing water IN town, it's probably the only body of concern for people dumping pets (and some people do, its inevitable) luckily, only lazy people dump pets, and lazy people are probably going to favor Okanagan, yellow, Vaseaux or Skaha lake, and thats that.... fish food. their life will end in minutes. theres huge carp, bass, salmon, and even ling cod. Ive snorkeled in it and the numbers of fish are multitudinous. dense, swirling schools of HUGE fish right beyond the drop off.

I guess what it all comes down to is, has anyone ever heard of axolotls infesting local waters? I know tiger sals do it, and I don't want to contribute to a problem (although nobody would probably notice if some axie genetics got mixed in)

heres an interesting ecology note. Yellow lake USED to be a thriving Tiger Salamander population, baby-boomers remember wading in it as kids and scattering schools of neotenic salamanders.
It, (like the now protected mahoney lake http://www.oliverchamber.bc.ca/to_do/naturalist/mahoney_lake/mahoney_lake.htm ) is naturally a meromictic lake, meaning a lake with only partial circulation. Yellow lake is on a main road, and some tourist bureau had the bright idea to build a pumping station that effectively circulates the entire lake and applies oxygen. The theory was this would make it suitable for trout, which, although predators, would not necessarily wipe out tiger salamanders....
Unfortunately some bozo (as they do) decided they wanted to fish for bass in yellow lake, and over time the lake became infested with bass and perch.

This problem could be fixed if they would just turn off the pump for a few years and re-introduce the salamanders. But that would kill off the trout... and baby-boomers would complain of the loss of their favorite fishing hole.

Let me recap, the tiger salamander is a red-listed species in BC, under direct threat from habitat destruction. And the conservation authority is primarily concerned with maintaining the most viable and perfect habitat as a FISHING HOLE!

I have spoken my mind to them on a number of occasions. and they know. and they say nothing can be done because the oldies like their fishing hole. and they have all the power. This is the riding of Stockwell Day here. we HAVE conservation officers and land conservatories, but never at the expense of development and tourism. so whats the freaking POINT?

Anyway, rant over.

I think I'm okay making axolotls available as pets. It's a hobby that others can appreciate too. I don't like the idea that people will buy them on impulse, but thats the hazard of being a critically endangered animal in an artificial world. Their survival as a species is wholly Dependant upon the pet and research trades, the mortality and morbidity rate is probably quite comparable to IDEAL wild conditions, and thats gone now. Considering the negatives of what I'm doing, I'm going ahead.

I was thinking maybe, if i had a good breeding program going, I could petition the provincial and local conservation authorities to maybe finance a tiger salamander breeding program for re establishing populations in newly protected areas that no longer face the factors that wiped out populations in the first place. And I could run the thing :) Then I could really do something to help. I could talk at schools, etc. Man, would I love to feel like I'm doing something positive.

people around here don't seem to care.

blueberlin

Reaction score

I could not imagine trying to fight such a battle. I don't think that people don't care, really, I think they just don't know, and even if they knew, they would still care more about their own business/pleasure. I am sure that even if you got ten thousand people to sign a petition to restore the lake, there would be hundreds of thousands who would still vote to maintain the fishing.

I did not know that axolotls could breed with other ambystomas.

featherbutt

Reaction score

albino axolotls are the result of crossbreeding albino tigers with wildtype axies.
far as i know anyway. could have been leucistic...

i know different tiger salamanders subspecies will interbreed, axolotls are basically just a unique and isolated population of mexican tiger salamanders.

blueberlin

Reaction score

At the risk of offending purists and traditionalists, I would say this is a good thing, no? The ability to survive really is all it's cracked up to be.

(reading the article now)

featherbutt

Reaction score

well, this is where i can only call into question humans ability to discern "right" from "wrong" in such matters.

nature provides an impenetrable land divide and a single species diverges into two.

nature created humans, And here we bridge the gap. two bifurcated species become one genetically superior species in the habitat of one of the species in question. eventually replacing the original species through gradual homogenization.

Theres no wrong or right, nature takes it's course, the only loss is in our minds. we feel bad we lost a species. But we really didn't life went on and improved itself.

That said, i certainly don't want to be responsible for it. but say, if a hybrid could survive in a bass-infested pond where a genetically pure specimen could not. then perhaps it could be a good thing.

nothing, however, can survive bass..... thats just silly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1