my axie wont go in its bottle cave

WATERPUPPY

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my axie wont go in its cave i dont know what to do :confused: .and it cant catch
the feeder fish.and where can i find shrimp,axolotle pellets,blood worm, tubifexworm,earth worm in bribane.logan:D.

What sort of cave is it? Can you provide a photo?
What sort of feeder fish have you put in the tank?
Did you quarantine the feeder fish?
How old is the axolotl?
As for all the other items try doing a search on the internet and/or ask your local pet store. You really need to know how to locate your food items for your axies before you buy them.

How long have you had the axolotl and how big is the tank?
Did you cycle the tank before you added your axolotl?

Hi, I dont know about the cave, but you can get the rest in petshops in Brisbane. Pet City Mt Gravatt is awesome! ;)

thanx all its a cut bottle the axolotle is 2 yaers old and he kept them in a sterophome box

:smile:

Hey mate. If the bottle is clear it will see it as a pointless obsticle. Most drinking bottles give off harmful chemicals(color white). Grab some 50mm PVC pipe from any hardware store and cut it at about 2 cm longer than the axolotle. As for food, meal worms are available from most pet stores. If not buy some lamb heart from the supermarket and slice it to very thin strips (size of a worm) 2cm long THEY LOVE THE STUFF. high in iron. 3 or 4 of them should fill its belly. :yin-yang:

Hey mate. If the bottle is clear it will see it as a pointless obsticle. Most drinking bottles give off harmful chemicals(color white). Grab some 50mm PVC pipe from any hardware store and cut it at about 2 cm longer than the axolotle. As for food, meal worms are available from most pet stores. If not buy some lamb heart from the supermarket and slice it to very thin strips (size of a worm) 2cm long THEY LOVE THE STUFF. high in iron. 3 or 4 of them should fill its belly. :yin-yang:

I agree that PVC pipes make great hides for axolotls.

Mealworms and organ meats however should only ever be fed to an axolotl as a very occasional treat, certainly not as a staple diet as this can lead to major health problems for the axolotls.

Organ meats tend to be high in fat and low in calcium. Mealworms are very hard to digest due to their hard shell, and you need to ensure they are decapitated or dead before feeding to the axolotl, as they have strong mandibles capable of tearing through an axolotl's internals.

Earthworm is the ideal staple as it contains all the nutrients an axolotl needs. If reluctant to feed live foods, then salmon pellets (or other carnivorous fish pellets) may be used and also make an excellent staple diet.

Please note that this thread is almost a year old, it's highly unlikely this member is still seeking answers to these problems.

Hi Waterpuppy,

You need to select a suitable type of cave to fufill its purpose. Axolotls want a cave to feel secure and protected and also shade from the light. You would have to choose something that provides a dark/dim shelter. There is no point putting a clear bottle for example. You would also have to take into consideration the opening of the cave, is it big enough for your axie to fit in and come out?

There are many other 'caves' that can suit your tank, have you considered ornamental jugs/urns/pots? Pipes are popular. You can also construct a cave out of huge rocks/slate cleverly put together. You can also find some nice decorative hideouts for pets in aquarium shops.

Earthworms, bloodworms, blackworms and pellets are essential staple food types. Shrimp, fish, beef heart strips etc. are all optional treats. You can try sourcing for these items from your local pet store. But just in case you can't find any, i have also private messaged you a list of places that can deliver livefoods or products to your doorstep.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back