Very New and Curious :) Help!

Kriltex

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, Im very new to axo's and to this thread but i am very interested in them since they are just so different from your regular choices in the pet store!. Basically, right now i have 2 tanks, A 7.7 Gallong and a 12 Gallon. I have two goldfish , One in each of those tanks. The reason for that is because one got sick with Ich so i put some medicine into it and put the healthy one into the bigger tank so he dosnt get infected. Anyway, the fish is getting better and i then came across the axos : ) they are so interesting and want one ahaha ^^ My only problem now is that i really want to use the 7.7 gallon tank to put one axolotyl in it! But thats the one which had the goldfish with ich and which was treated with 'Multi-cure' ( It contains Malchinite green which i hear is toxic for axo's ), So i really dont know what to do because the one which has the medicine in it is cycled, so i dont really want to do a 100% water change and start from scratch because i hear it takes 4-8 weeks to cycle a tank. Please help! : )

Hello Kriltex,

You have 2 options:

1. Purchase an activated carbon cartridge and place it into the tank that has the medicine in it and hopefully the activated carbon will adsorb all/most of the medicine. By the way, it's great that you realised that Malchinite green is toxic towards axolotls :D

2. Start from scratch. Completely empty out the tank and wash it thoroughly with baking soda; then restart the nitrification "cycle" again. I know this may seem tedious but patience is the key to a "cycled" tank. Also with this method, you can be sure that you have removed all of the pathogens that were brought about by Ich.

Goodluck with which ever method you decide to take!

Jay.

A tank that small is not appropriately sized for an adult axolotl. Your best bet is to just buy a larger tank and cycle it from scratch.

Thanks both for fast response!, I will probably start the cycle again with new water and sand to ensure all traces of the medicine and ich are gone. But with that, what could i do to cycle the water without having to sacrifice a fish :S, and hopefully not having to buy any live bacteria... , and Kaysie, i was really worried that someone would say that :p I guess it is small but i plan to buy the smallest one available from the pet store, possible a 3 inch one that i saw not too long ago. Then when it gets a bit too squashy for him/her in the tank, i will buy a bigger one. If it was up to me i would buy a huge expensive tank because i do have the money for it. Its just the room lol.. The only place i can put and fit a tank would be on the top compartment of my comp desk. Im hoping you can tell me how long it would take for the small axo to become big and in desperate need to be put into a bigger tank, Hopefully 3-4 years? :S Thats when i can get my own house with LoTsA RoOm! :) I'll wait for your replies :) thnks!

Ok you need a minimum 10 gallon tank for an axolotl so start with that. The smallest tank in the shop is in no way adequate for an axolotl even if it fits in size-wise. Axolotls are quite dirty creatures so you will probably have constant ammonia problems in a tank that small unless you are willing to do very frequent water changes.

If you don't have the room to house an adequate sized tank I suggest to put off buying an axolotl as it would not be in the animal's best interests to be kept in a 3 inch tank. My axolotl is just over a year old and is 25cm and that is not even considered big for that age. I got him at six months old at 15cm...

Its actually ranked 'Medium size' by Aqua One Splish n Splash Complete Tanks.. I dont think its 3 inch long, it is more like 1 and a half foot long. 7.7 Gallons. Will that be alright? ( Sorry i just realised my other post did sound like i said i was buying the smallest tank from the store, i really meant the smallest axolotyl :p ) Hehe

Minimum 10 gallons for an adult axolotl is recommended. If you by a 7.7 gallon tank for a baby axolotl, it is likely to only last you about six-twelve months, definitely not 3-4 years.

Plus you will spend a lot of time cleaning the tank and water as the waste produced by your axolotl will be more concentrated in a smaller tank. My first tank was 2 foot long, which I think is fine for 1 adult axolotl. Like Sarah said, if you haven't got the room then dont buy an axolotl.

I agree. An axolotl needs at least a 10 gallon tank. They grow quickly, and even if it is only a few inches now, in 4 months, it will be nearly adult size. I usually recommend a 20 gallon long for 1 adult axolotl, as it allows more buffer room for water quality and providing appropriate habitat.

I think 2 in a 20 gallon is fine.

Wow that sure is alot of room.. do they really need so much when they stand still most of the time? a goldfish alone is reccomended to have 10 gallons to itself because it patrols the whole tank where-as an axo i believe, mostly stays at the bottom.. is it really that bad if i put one into a 7.7 gallon tank? maybe just for a year then?

I don't think one should get a pet unless they are able to provide a minimum standard of living for it so I think if you don't have room, wait until you do to get an axolotl. Pretty much everyone who knows anything about axolotls say a minimum of 10 gallons for an adult axolotl. As an axolotl can reach sexual maturity in six-twelve months if you buy a 7.7 gallon tank you will need to upgrade possibly in six months only (and usually most shops sell juveniles not babies so you will probably buy one getting near adult size anyway).

You are also overlooking the water quality issues that will occur if you get a smaller sized tank. Axolotls are very dirty so even though they may not move much if they have a small tank then there will be ammonia issues.

As you keep asking you are obviously looking for the answer "yes a 7.7 gallon tank is ok" but sorry, very few people here will tell you that including myself.

Hmmm alright then, Well.. looks like i'll get a bigger tank, but here in sydney.. i go to Strictly Aquariums, and honestly the largest tank they got is from Aqua One splish n splash ( Large size ) which is 28 Litres, still not enough... ( I use this 28 litre for my goldfish).. what do u reccoment i could put in the smaller one ( 7.7 gallon ). and whats an average price for a tank you reccomend for One acolotl, i would like two but the thought of breeding is stressful aha

I don't know much about other species you could keep in there, I have a 5 gallon tank for breeding guppies but they are tiny and get eaten by my axolotl eventually so not a long term thing... Basically decide what you want to keep and do some research on the tank requirements for the type of pet you want. Or google "what can I keep in a 7 gallon tank". Lots of results.

Both my tanks were free. Ask around at different aquariums as often they do sales and chuck out their old display tanks very cheaply. I am sure if you are not keen to go to another aquarium your local one can order in a larger tank for you no worries. If their largest is 28L, well it sounds like they don't cater to axie keepers as that would be considered a very small tank. You can also check out your local Freecycle group for free tanks also, I see them a lot on my local freecycle group.

Good luck~

Hi kriltex
Aqua one make great products , (I have some for my fish) but from memory the tanks usually come as a complete set up .
eg - stand , tank , hood , light , HOB or power filter , heater.
Most of this you dont actually need to keep a healthy axolotl .
I think you would be better off buying a plain old standard 2 or 3 ft tank and suitable filter .
You can start cycling the tank , add things as you get the money , eg caves and plants , and then when ready , purchase your axolotl.
Hope this helps

It's much more expensive to buy all the accessories that you'll need for the axolotl than it is to buy the axolotl. Like Seedy said, you'll need a tank, filter, stand, plants, hides, substrate, all sorts of things. They're expensive. If you cannot provide the appropriate setup for your axolotl, why get it and have it die? Axolotls have a life span of 15+ years.

It's much more expensive to buy all the accessories that you'll need for the axolotl than it is to buy the axolotl.

You do have to dig deep into your pockets to keep an axolotl or any animal for that matter. Then you have to consider the on-going costs, i.e. food.

However, if you really want to get axolotl and you think that you are more than capable then by all means, get one. You will have to purchase a larger tank though. Having said that, you can pick up a tank for free at some places, you just have to have an eagle eye. With food, you can reduce the costs by starting your own worm farm:

http://www.klickitatcounty.org/SolidWaste/FilesHtml/Organics/OscrJunior.pdf

Of course you will need a filter to maintain a sustainable environment for your axolotl. I can help you out there. I've noticed that are from Australia as well and it just so happen that I have a spare air pump and a cartridge where you can place the filter media (i.e. sponge) into it. I also have a spare pH test kit which I have only used a few times, and is within its expiry date. As you have read already, axolotl require hiding places; I can provide you with a log which makes a great hiding place. I can give all of this equipment to you free of cost, and I will cover the postage/handling for you. However, if you already have the equipment...well, I just gave my fingers quite the work-out for no apparent reason :p

Jay.

Just to give you an idea of set up costs for an axie this is what it cost me:
-Food for last year: $25 (I get free guppies all the time and extra food from my friend who has a big aquarium)
-2ft (15 gallon tank): free
-Internal Filter: $70
-Test kits: $60
-Misc (nets, wood, fake plants, thermometer, buckets, containers, turkey baster, sponge): $50
-Cooler: $250 - you can easily get by without this if you have a fridge and ice bottles tho :)
-Axie: $19.99

So it isn't highly expensive to set up if you can get the tank for free and breed your own food! There are a bunch of 2 ft tanks on ebay between $5-50 too :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back