Question about diet.

NATlovesXERXES

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Natalie and Xerxes
This time round, I am gathering information and learning about the care and requirements of Axolotls before I bounce in and buy on impulse. I was so devestated when Xerxes died the other day. Here are a few questions that I think I need to know:

What should my next axie's staple diet be?
What different treats can I offer?
Where can I purchase these in Australia?
How often should I generally feed a)baby b)adult?
Would I be better off buying an adult axie this time or another baby?

Thanks guys. Feel free to overload me. The petshop will have another batch of ready babies in about two months so that should be enough time to cycle the tank again and prepare myself.

Diet staples should include earthworms and/or salmon pellets. Other foods can include (but certainly not limited to): waxworms, pinkie mice, crickets, slaters, slugs, snails, etc. Pretty much anything that doesn't bite back (mealworms should be decapitated! Pinkies should be frozen/thawed).

Any good pet shop or bait shop should have most of these items.

Larvae (with no legs, or just sprouting legs) should have a nearly constant supply of food (I prefer daphnia, but baby brine shrimp work well too). Juveniles between 1-3 inches should be fed at least daily. Older juvies and adults should be fed every 2-3 days, depending on temperature (the warmer they are, the more often they need to eat).

What you buy is your preference. Babies are harder to care for, but you have more of a selection (most people get rid of babies, rather than adults). Also, with babies, you are more likely to know how old it is. Adults are generally easier to take care of. They're full size, so finding tiny food isn't necessary.

I'm sorry that you lost Xerxes, but I'm glad it hasn't turned you off keeping. I am also pretty ecstatic that you're doing your homework! So many people come to the board and believe just what the pet shop told them, and have ill animals. It's good to research something (and prepare for it!) before it comes home with you.

Hi Nat and welcome back,

The best staple for an axie is the earthworm. I've attached a couple of articles that give you a good run down of the nutricianal value for staple food types ideal for axies and a list of treats.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

Salmon Pellets also are an excellent staple.

I get my worms from an online worm farm. Fish bait shops also sell live earthworms and I am told Bunnings does as well.

Australian aquariums usually only sell axies from young juvenile stage to adult. If you are interested in larvae - there may be something in the 'for sale' area of this site.

A juvenile axolotl should be fed about once per day. As they start breaking into adult stage, maybe feed every 1 or 2 days...

An adult, about once every few days.

A general guide is the axies belly should be about as wide as the head - plump but not obese.

Cheers Jacq.

Thank you so much guys. I think I might get an adult this time around and learn how to care for one that is well established. I know there are a few around this area at the local petshops, and there is one in particular that have theirs on earthworms now. It sounds like that places knows what they are doing and the tank was properly arranged as well.
I am sure my lizard would benefit from a few eathworms a day as well :rolleyes:. I already have pinkies that I could easily slice into nice treat portions!
I still will wait a few months though to make sure the new tank is well stabilised. Does it matter that I am using the same one that Xerxes lived in? I have thoroughly scrubbed it with a vinagar solution, and rinsed it a lot times too. I also moved his tank from the ledge it was on, into a darker area of the room just to be certain it wont get excess light (fluro kitchen/halogen etc).

Nice information too! I note turtle food is not included -hint- I won't be buying that again...

Hi Nat,

Yes, after giving it such a good clean you can certainly use Xerxes' tank, but you will need to re-cycle it.

This article gives detail on how to cycle your tank if you haven't already read it:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

:lol: Yes, sorry about the 'no turtle food' - it breaks my axie's hearts when they watch me eating my dinner as they seem as if they'd love some 'spagetti bolognaise' - look's too much like worms - I have to throw a sarong over the tank in the lounge so I can eat in peace!

Cheers Jacq.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back