The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 31st May 2008   #1
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information
Post Axolotl Colours :/

I have been looking in different petstores (not to buy) and I have seen that black and golden albino are very common.
I read on the axolotls genetics page that there are lots of different colours even if they do look similar.
Also one petstore is selling a black one for more than a white one where as all the others sell their axolotls for the same amount no matter the colour.

Which colour is most common and which colours are rarer..? I own two golden albinos and a leucistic.

inkozana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008   #2
WATERPUPPY

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: WATERPUPPY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Colours :/

Thay Mostly Sell Black For More At Stores Lke Pet Wise But The Reson Is You Can Find White Olive And Albino Every Where And Black Is Different

WATERPUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008   #3
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:
Rep: inkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and informationinkozana has given consistently good advice and information

I had a lot of trouble reading that :/
Black seems more common than albinos in my area.

Old 31st May 2008   #4
Kriltex

Nationality:
Rep: Kriltex is an unknown quantity at this point

Since your in australia, you probably know about the pet store 'Strictly Aquariums', My local Strictly aquariums store sells all colours of axos for $30 AUS dollars each. ( Black, Golden, White, Pinkish ). Im guessing they are all common, if you want a rarer more unique colours, check in every thursday when they refresh their stocks and see if they are selling an axolotly with distinctive colour markings along its body or on its head, they are one of a kind ^^ Hope this helps

Kriltex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008   #5
Stef
(inkozana)

Nationality:

Unfotunately I've never heard of that store, but I'll google it and see if there is one close by.
I love going into new pet stores and seeing what they sell.

Edit: It seems that store is only in Sydney
However next time I'm down there I'll have a look

Old 31st May 2008   #6
rastus

Nationality:
Rep: rastus has started on the right path
Default Re: Adelaide

Hi guys.
I live in Adelaide and it seems that it's pretty much the same here, Black and White are most common here, with the odd Golden. They are a bit hard to find but usually sell for about $30.
I saw one the other day that i havn't seen before. It was black but it was sort of two tone. The top half was dark black and the bottom was a lighter black (almost grey), and the two shades were seperated by a distinct wavy horizontal line. I'm going to have another look tomorrow and will most likely get it if it's still there.

rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008   #7
Lisa

Nationality:
Rep: Lisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLisa is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If anyone has seen or knows of anywhere in Perth that they've seen leucistics, I'd love to know.

Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008   #8
click
(ianclick)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Rep: ianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.orgianclick is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Firstly I agree with Stef,

Waterpuppy your Grammar, sentence construction and constant capitalisation defies all the laws of the English Language. It also makes very little sense.

Colouration depends largely on the available breeding stock in your locale. In New Zealand we have alot of leucistics and Dark coloured wild types. There are some golden albinos, fewer albinos and even less Melanoids and as far as I know No Harlequins

ianclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008   #9
infested

Nationality:
Rep: infested has started on the right path
Default Re: Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastus View Post
Hi guys.
I saw one the other day that i havn't seen before. It was black but it was sort of two tone. The top half was dark black and the bottom was a lighter black (almost grey), and the two shades were seperated by a distinct wavy horizontal line. I'm going to have another look tomorrow and will most likely get it if it's still there.
LOL that's my bill!!! He's a cutie. I have an olive, leucstic and bill, my wild-type (two toneish).

I live in newcastle, and i have found it somewhat difficult to find leucistics and olives. I snatched them up as soon as i saw them. No hope for harlequins, anywhere in the world. I'd kill to have one of them :)

infested is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, colours