Eurycea (lucifuga or longicauda?)

neonsal

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been working in my crawlspace and ran into this guy.

I have found photos of lucifugas and longicaudas on the internet that look like this guy so I have been unable to determine which kind it is. Which kind is it? Thanks :eek:

I'd say E.lucifuga. It looks too orange to be longicauda, also it doesn't look like it has the herring-bone spots along the tail.

That's a pretty awesome animal to find in your crawlspace! Definitely E. lucifuga. If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

See my reply to your other post about feeding for more care info.
-Tim

Thank you everyone. I live in north-central Tennessee in a developed area surrounded by roads. Squirrels cannot even find my hickory tree so I have no idea how a cave dweller found my crawlspace.

Wow, truly an awesome find-and in your crawlspace no less! I've put in a lot of hours in Kentucky's caves doing E. longicauda research, but I have yet to turn up any E. lucifuga. I did find this one that was patterned a bit more like a cave salamander, but that's as close as I've come so far.
P5070338.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back