Custom Built Glass Aquaria

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I made the decision a while back that I would scale down my collection and concentrate on keeping and breeding a handful of species I really like. There was a real danger I was running out of space and more importantly the time to enjoy the animals I have. In order to soften this blow I wanted to create enclosures which could be both suitable for breeding and display. How scaling down equates to building more tanks I don’t know but somehow I’ve rationalised this as the way forward. :D

So this weekend was my very first attempt at building glass aquaria and so far it’s gone well. I’d decided on square tanks to increase the surface area available to the animals. Shop bought aquaria tend to cater for fish, choosing length and height over surface area. The dimensions were determined by the amount of bench space in the newt room and the number of tanks I want to fit in. They’ll be ~65 litres (20+ US gallons), constructed from 6.4mm laminated glass with built in newt proof ledges around the tops – a lot heavier than a standard aquarium but strong enough to not require any additional support structures.

Here’s the first few shots:
Checking it all fits.
IMG_3007.jpg

Fixed with silicone.
IMG_3018.jpg

The silicone is still drying so I don’t know if it’s water tight yet! It should be.

Next stage is the newt proof ledge. Once I’ve perfected this one I’m building 4 more identical tanks.

I'll post updates when I have them.

Hi Mark,

Great idea re the increased land area rather than height (No offence towards tree frogs of course!)

I have mainly fire salamanders and most tanks are just a waste of volume in height that is not needed.

If more 'low' level tanks were available the world would be a better place!

Good luck with your project,

Regards,

Mike.

I made the decision a while back that I would scale down my collection and concentrate on keeping and breeding a handful of species I really like. There was a real danger I was running out of space and more importantly the time to enjoy the animals I have. In order to soften this blow I wanted to create enclosures which could be both suitable for breeding and display. How scaling down equates to building more tanks I don’t know but somehow I’ve rationalised this as the way forward. :D

So this weekend was my very first attempt at building glass aquaria and so far it’s gone well. I’d decided on square tanks to increase the surface area available to the animals. Shop bought aquaria tend to cater for fish, choosing length and height over surface area. The dimensions were determined by the amount of bench space in the newt room and the number of tanks I want to fit in. They’ll be ~65 litres (20+ US gallons), constructed from 6.4mm laminated glass with built in newt proof ledges around the tops – a lot heavier than a standard aquarium but strong enough to not require any additional support structures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I can't wait to see the newt proof ledge.
:happy:

That's looking really nice! I wish there were more aquariums with animals other than fish in mind. A lot of fish tanks aren't even really all that great for fish.

Is it a pretty pricey venture to construct your own aquarium?

Great idea! I agree with the comments that tanks on the market are NOT that good. This layout is great, gives a huge amount of ground surface which is needed. Good luck and I can't wait to see the final result!

Mitch

Is it a pretty pricey venture to construct your own aquarium?

It depends on the glass used. Standard aquarium glass on a 10-20 gallon tank is probably 4-5mm. I've gone the whole hog and invested in 6.4mm laminated which is effectively 2 x 3mm sheets glued together. For the tank above the glass cost £54 ($108), not including the ledges. I'd imagine it would be considerably less is you chose ~4mm glass but it may not be as strong or durable.

I expect when the ledges have been purchased the total cost will be between £65 - £70 which I personally don't consider too expensive for the size. Then again, I live in the UK where everything is extortionately priced so maybe I'm not the best judge.

After a few tests to check it's water tight, on goes the (hopefully) newt proof ledge.
IMG_3180.jpg

This corner has been cut off to allow a space for wires and air tubes.
IMG_3182.jpg

I expect when the ledges have been purchased the total cost will be between £65 - £70 which I personally don't consider too expensive for the size. Then again, I live in the UK where everything is extortionately priced so maybe I'm not the best judge.

You can say that again. I looked in something very similar a few years ago(when I had the space for it, having moved I'm glad I didnt in the end). I was quoted 82 quid each for an almost identicaly sized construction(18 gallons if I recall correctly) in 5.5 laminated glass with glass lids.
I think you got a pretty good deal there.

Couldnt agree more that standard sized aquaria are badly proportioned, the only two still in production I ever buy are clearseals petite hexagon tanks for small arboreal setups(oddly Betta's seem to like these, havent found another fish that does) and the 1ft/2ftx8x8 for semi aquatic caudates. If anyone knows of a brand that builds better sized small aquariums please let me know!

The above tank is now set-up. It consists of rocks, water and a powerhead -that's it! The inhabitants are brook newts who don't really require plants. I'm not a fan of substrates in aquatic tanks so I installed a stone floor (any excuse to use an angle grinder) made from slate tiles. Large slate rocks are piled up to make a small island.
IMG_3241.jpg

As you can see, the water is really turbulent. There's an adult newt enjoying the "brook" effect at the front. These newts like to wedge themselves into rocks where the water flows quite strongly.
IMG_3246.jpg

This newt kindly demonstrating the stone floor (and dirty glass)...
IMG_3259.jpg

I plan to create a similar enclosure for N.strauchii next.

Hi Mark

Great looking tanks and set up.

Looks very professional, im sure the occupants appreciate your time and effort.

Keep it up!!!

Ben

I really like your new tank design. I'm particularly interested in the stone 'substrate' as I don't use sand or gravel anymore for my aquatics after losing a group of newts apparently due to infection from an accumulation of detritus under the rocks. How often do you expect to have to take the set-up apart for cleaning? Or have you cut clean edges and sealed in the rock 'floor' with silicone?

The reason I ask is that I'll be switching my Neurergus kaiseri to an aquatic set up in the New Year if they continue to grow well. I'd thought of a rocky tank to try to match their natural environment, but I'm wary of having to dismantle it frequently--and scared of any infection risk.

The tiles are quite level. The biggest space under the tiles is only a couple of millimeters at most so I don't envisage much waste being trapped underneath. They're quite flush because I've cut them to fit exactly. With a decent water change schedule I can't see myself having to dismantle the tank for a good few months. Wickes' are selling the tiles for 99p each, about 1ft square.

My kaiseri will also be going into a similar set-up but they are further down the "to-do" list.

Great set of photos, Mark!

I have similar 1-ft square slate tiles (leftovers from a floor-making project). It's also possible to silicone them into place, thus having no water going underneath. I have one tank that I did this with. The only downside is that it takes a long time for the silicone to cure.

In the old days, they used to make aquariums with slate bottoms. The glass sides were glued directly onto the slate (using the slate instead of a bottom glass). This might be an idea for your future tank-building, particularly if you fancy making a 1-ft-square tank.

*blinks*
What a brilliant idea.
I've used ceramic and slate tiles in vivariums for years, its never occured to me to use them in wet tanks.
I feel rather dim now, thanks for that! :)

I'm about to gut and re-decorate a 2ft tank thats given me no end of trouble with cleaning and water quality, think I'll try someting very similar with some floating plants.

In the old days, they used to make aquariums with slate bottoms. The glass sides were glued directly onto the slate (using the slate instead of a bottom glass). This might be an idea for your future tank-building, particularly if you fancy making a 1-ft-square tank.

That's a very interesting concept. It would be useful to have one for photography purposes. You'd need a tile with perfect edges - I think I'll give it a go.

Are you sure about gluing glass straight to a slate bottom? I'm old enough to remember slate bottom aquariums and-as far as I recall--the slate and glass was set into an angle-iron frame with window putty. I remember my disbelief when I first saw a glass and silicone tank--I didn't think it had a hope in hell of coping with the werght of water!

Platinum is right about the construction of the old slate-bottom tanks. There was a metal frame holding them together, and there was putty between the metal frame and the slate. I'm not sure how essential that was, or how one would recreate it in a homemade tank. Hopefully I haven't given a dangerous suggestion!

remember my disbelief when I first saw a glass and silicone tank--I didn't think it had a hope in hell of coping with the werght of water!

I'm constantly amazed by the weight of stuff you can shove in a tank and it still hold up - I've never had a glass aquarium break(unless the shelf it was on collapses under the weight, which has happened a couple of times).
I remember in school we saw a video in science class where a standard glass aquarium was sat on a couple of metal bars(like a scaffolding frame under the short ends) and it took 3 times the volume in concrete blocks to break it, that was probably only because it was unsupported underneath.

I dropped by my local Wickes earlier, they were all sold out - the guy said he'd taken the last two to use in his fish tank!

I suspect silicone doesn’t hold to stone as well as glass so you’d need to provide some extra support. For a 1ft square tank a plastic frame on the base would probably be sufficient. The other problem is that (most) stone is heavier than glass; it would be unwise to try picking the structure up by the glass sides. For a small tank it may work. I wouldn’t want a large aquarium built with a stone base without a substantial frame.

One of the benefits of placing the stone inside a glass structure is that it raises the animal up above the silicone seal. When you take a photo nine times out of ten the animal is up at the glass and you’re fighting to avoid silicone in the shot.

Bummer about Wickes. They were in the sale. Most of the large DIY stores will sell natural stone flooring.

The glass for tank number 2. I'm very pleased with the design of the first one so I haven't changed a thing. I toyed with the idea of using 4mm glass as it's far cheaper but with the amount of rocks and volume of water in these tank I didn't want to take the risk. The laminated ones are coming in at under £60 complete. I think I'll try a 4mm terrestrial tank.
IMG_3296.jpg

And for those that like the slate floor - they sell packs of 5 in B&Q for ~£6.
IMG_3303.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back