Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blog Visibility

Abrahm

Reaction score
I was just cruising around Caudata.org as a guest with no login and I noticed that the blogs are completely off limits to non-members of the forum. Is it supposed to be like that? I would personally think the blogs are more useful if we can share links with outsiders and have them be able to access the blog without registering. If really useful stuff starts popping up there it would be a shame to hide that knowledge away from others (and google.)

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Wait, are blogs supposed to be useful, too? I thought they are just kind of a brain dump to entertain others - hence the differentiation between "forum" and "blog". If blogs are supposed to contain useful information, please tell me ASAP before I make even more of a fool of myself than I have already.

-Eva

Abrahm

Reaction score
Blogs can be anything. They can be dry and boring with nothing but facts and whatnot, they can be education, they can be fanciful "slices of life," or basically anything else. Your blog fits right into "slice of life" so you're in perfect territory.

If someone made a blog similar to Frank Indiviglio's it would be a shame for people to not be able to find and read it.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Ok and thank you, I am reassured about my drivel :eek: but now even more concerned with your question. Would it be a viable option, should someone have a pertinent blog, to ask his/her permission either to copy the pertinent info into a (sticky?) thread or article or to have the pertinent blog given a public status? (Sorry, I know how simplistic that sounds and I've written it three times already, but when it comes to IT I think in German and I'm not that familiar with programming anyway).

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
The issue here is whether you want your thoughts to be searchable on google. I thought that might not be a great idea. I can of course change it if there is a groundswell of opinion.

Abrahm

Reaction score
That was my general idea by posting it here. It may prove that I am (yet again) in a tiny, crazy minority.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Meh what the hell. I've changed it for you Abrahm, let it never be said that I never do anything for you :).

blueberlin

Reaction score
Meh what the hell. I've changed it for you Abrahm, let it never be said that I never do anything for you :).

I'm sorry, but here I am again. I really don't mean to be a nag or a bother or anything other sort of unappetizing, but I would, if I may, ask what exactly has been changed?

If our blogs are made public now, could an administrator please delete mine? I haven't contributed anything worthwhile to the forum with them, but I have indeed revealed more than I would like to do to the general public (i.e., names of my children, pictures of my house). I know that this is a forum open to the world, but it's still kind of limited in that it appeals to a specific interest group and that those with certain access have to give at least something like a surname during registration.

It is completely my fault and foolishness for writing such things but if the ground rules are changing, I would like to withdraw, please.

I would have written this in a PM but I don't know how to address two people at once. :rolleyes: You can delete this post, too, if it is expedient.

-Eva

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've changed the default settings now so that anyone creating a new blog will have it unavailable to unregistered users by default. All new (not present) bloggers will need to turn this setting on if they want non registered people to see their blogs.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't my problem. I was fine up to here. Still am. Abrahm's point is valid. I just wanted to clarify the fine print. Geez.
Misinterpreting me again - re-read with your as "one's" or "the". If I really was going around in a strop all the time I wouldn't be bothered to do anything on the site :p.

blueberlin

Reaction score
:D Fair enough! Silly me for being touchy.

It works fine with removing the pemission to "let everyone see". Now I can be the forum's little secret. :rolleyes:

Thanks,

-Eva

madeve

Reaction score
For a few minutes there I was worried that we would lose Eva's blogs and that seemed like a shame because many of us here seem to really enjoy them. I know it sounds silly but I do enjoy the few (extra) laughs some of your comments bring me.
Eve

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
For a few minutes there I was worried that we would lose Eva's blogs and that seemed like a shame because many of us here seem to really enjoy them. I know it sounds silly but I do enjoy the few (extra) laughs some of your comments bring me.
Eve
Why do you think I jumped on fixing that immediately? :p

blueberlin

Reaction score
I was more worried she wanted to erase them actually.

Hi Eve (lovely name!)

You are so right, I almost did. I know I seem paranoid or something; I'm really not. My husband has this megalomaniacal fear of someone kidnapping our children, though, and although I know it's a very long shot that my blogs could cause that, I am a dutiful wife and so I asked, just to be safe. I was >thisclose< to deleting them, but it did kind of seem a shame. And besides, it would have been so much work to delete them individually.

Why do you think I jumped on fixing that immediately? :p

:eek: Y'all are so sweet! I am very flattered. For that I'll go blog about my first experience in "herping". :D

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!