How do worms do it

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it always amazes me how long worms can live under water. I've found them still wriggling under rocks days after putting them in. How do they do it? How long can you expect them to be able to live for under water?

Re: how do worms do it

My mind-reading abilities tell me you are talking about earthworms, right? (Just kidding.)

I've noticed that a worm can live a couple of days but I don't think that they can last much longer than that. They also have the annoying habit of burrowing down underneath the gravel before dying.

G'day Ali,

I can't really comment on the physiology of the common earthworm, but I did manage to find the follwing link:

http://www.infovisual.info/02/006_en.html

Just by looking at this diagram, you can see the the earthworm does not have a specific organ for respiration. So I'm assuming that the majority of the gas exchange (i.e. carbon dioxide for oxygen) occurs across the earthworms body- similar to the axolotl. I guess, this also explains why they can spend such a long time under water. I don't know how long, though. Perhaps somebody else will be able to answer that question for you. Oh, and google always has the answer(s) ;)

Jay.

:eek: yes, earthworms...sorry:eek:

Thats a really interesting link, thanks Jay (never thought i'd be interested in the physiology of worms!) just had a quick google and couldn't find anything concrete, some say they can survive for several weeks if the water is oxygenated. I shall continue to look:D

If they can live so long underwater, why do they drown all the time in the rain?

Aerobic bacteria consume the vast majority of O2 from waterlogged soil (bacteria being far more prolific in soil than in water bodies), leaving little for the worms relatively inefficient system to absorb. COmbined with oils and grease from urban runoff, worms in soils that are impacted by human activities have little capability to "breath" and are thus asphyxiated. Sad, but true.

Hello Dawn,

why do they drown all the time in the rain?

I'm thinking it's because of the troposphere. The troposphere consists of mainly nitrogen(g) and oxygen(g). However, other constituents include: sulphur dioxide, nitrogen oxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons. Rainwater reacts with all these gases and pollutants, making it naturally acidic. The worm most likely dies/drowns as result of asphyxiation.

Jay.

I suspect they don't 'drown' at all, but suffer from an osmoregulation issue. That is, there's so much water, and worms don't naturally osmoregulate, so their cells absorb vast amounts of water in order to be isotonic with the surrounding water.

If it was acid precipitation, they would die whenever there was any rain, regardless of amount.

I've noticed that different types of worms can live in water for different lengths of time. The big gray nightcrawlers can't last more than a day. Belgian nightcrawlers (Dendobaena) can live for weeks under water.

not sure what we have in our garden... common British worm I expect, but they can live for at least 3 days.

ive lost worms in gravel of my frog tank only to find them months, yes MONTHS, later when i do a complete cleaning of the tank and spray down the gravel. i never understood how they manage to do that but its not something they all share, some individual, naturally, manage to stay underwater for longer periods of time than others.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back