Captive repro of Hemidactylium

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
FYI I did manage to get 16 Hemidactylium metamorphs out of a clutch of 30 eggs laid this spring at the zoo. This is our third year getting eggs out of them, but the first year we got any hatchlings. I think I still have a gravid female, the winter temps got screwed up so hopefully she'll lay soon too.

No photos yet, but I'll try to get some soonish. They are doing well and growing fast.

The glutinosus from earlier this year is also doing very well.

-Tim

Re: captive repro of Hemidactylium

Tim, that's great news! Has anyone ever bred Hemidactylium in captivity before?

Pardon my ignorance please, but what zoo is that? Congratulations!

Has anyone ever bred Hemidactylium in captivity before?

At least one breeder in Germany has bred them this year.

At least one breeder in Germany has bred them this year.

I've got eggs too, but that's the easy part. They are near hatching. I hope it will turn out good.

I've got eggs too, but that's the easy part. They are near hatching. I hope it will turn out good.

Congratulations Coen! That's great news. Good luck with the babies.

Tim said zoo - what zoo?

Thank you for posting that link Jen and thank you Tim for sharing your accomplishments :).

Yes, sorry about that. It is the Toledo Zoo.

Good luck with the eggs Coen, they always failed pretty early for me, so if they make it to late term you should be good. Make sure they have very easy access to water when they are about to hatch. In the wild I've seen them hatch during rain events, so they may have to be flooded out. I transferred the eggs to a grow out tank and half submerged them when they were at full term.

-Tim

This is the way I keep them. I rearranged the mossy branches when I discovered the eggs so they hang over the shallow waterbowl.

The tank:
2436643161_93f12ec82b_b.jpg

The eggs:
2571866023_419c6f8838_o.jpg

H. scutatum on a branch:
2436607977_288eda2e6d_b.jpg

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing.

Coen,
Do you manage to actually grow that moss or are you replacing it from time to time? Nice setup in any case.
Chip

Coen,
Do you manage to actually grow that moss or are you replacing it from time to time? Nice setup in any case.
Chip

I have gotten those pieces of wood from outside. I have noticed that it actually does grow, Though I'm not sure if it will maintain for years on end - I'll just have to see. I have some spare pieces of wood with moss on it outside if a replacement is needed.

Those vids are excellent, and I've already translated the breeding report a while ago, very nice!

Well, the eggs are near hatching. I've placed the piece of wood with the eggs in a different shoebox with about 3 cm of water, taken from my daphnia culture, so there should be some microfood available when they hatch.

2585056568_e24360131d.jpg

I've sprayed the eggs as Tim suggested, I'll keep on doing that every now and then to see what will happen. This is all very exciting, I hope it will turn out well.

And they're off...

2628995520_99307a224f.jpg

2628995946_f7d06be13a.jpg

2628178345_4c92f95993.jpg

All the eggs hatched last night, at the moment I have 17 larvae swimming around, and about 5 eggs were infertile. 1 larvae had some problems hatching and is now a little crooked, laying still on the bottom. I'm not sure if this one will make it. The larvae are relatively small, so I've setup a artemia hatchery. The larvae are very active and shoot to all sides whenever I come close to watch or photograph them.

Congratulations!

I did set up a side by side trial with larvae in an established tank with diverse microfauna, and another group getting just brine shrimp nauplii. The brine shrimp group grew much slower and eventually I moved them to other tank.

I'd suggest collecting some other microinvertebrates if possible to augment their diet.

Good luck!
-Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back