Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin Growth or Loss on Nostril

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello
I have some pictures of an axolotl with what appears to be a skin growth or lesion. Would the group be able to shed some insight as to what this might be. He is housed with another axolotl and seems to be in good health otherwise. It has grown in size over the last 3 days.
Thank you.

Attachments

• axolotl face front.jpg
    axolotl face front.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4,275
  • axolotl face side.jpg
    axolotl face side.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,761

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Attached is another photo.

Attachments

• axolotl face front 2.jpg
    axolotl face front 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 4,140

Lisa

Reaction score
Thats a very pretty wildtype. Not sure about the lesion. Is it fuzzy at all? Doesn't look like it from the photo. It could be fungal if it is fuzzy. Otherwise it looks a little like the cyst-like, raised bumps some axies get on their bodies that are usually not a problem. It's worth checking your water parameters ie ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and temp to make sure all is well. Have you introduced anything to the tank recently ie new axies, fish, plants etc that could harbour a parasite? If parameters are OK and he's eating and otherwise seems OK, it's probably nothing to worry about, but please, all out there feel free to correct me if necessary.

Bil

Reaction score
mine looks like that but worse! and hes not eating.. any ideas??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!