AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AaronK
Hello
I noticed my female Cynops orientalis laying eggs last month but I never removed them. I enjoyed watching the embryos develop and figured the adults ate them or they didn't make it. I was surprised to see three little larvae in the tank this week. I am amazed at how small they are and I'm very excited for my first babies. I was only able to get one picture.

Attachments

• Larvae.jpg
    Larvae.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 915
I found two larvae in my adult tank recently too. The java moss must have hidden them well enough to keep the parents away. Mine aren't nearly as developed as yours though. Good luck with them.

I wish my trio would lay for me. *sigh* Beautiful little one you have there.:wacko:

adorable :3 Good luck with the little one

Hi,

Thats great - just seen your post - how did you get on ?

Mine bred for the first time this year (not planned) - starting in January and I am now overrun with baby newts coming out the water.

Its fantastic watching them develop from tiny eggs, hatching, growing their legs and toes, losing their gills and right through to fully developed newts.

Hope yours are doing well,

Best wishes,

Alex :happy:

Hey,

I've a trio of these newts, and the female has started laying eggs around a week ago!

Up to 20 eggs after only 10 days; might have my hands full! I've already got a few small trays of eggs scattered about, haha.

I look forward to ending up larvae like yours.

I have a trio of newts and I know one is female. I hope I had not washed away any eggs down the drain with changing their water!:confused:

I have since set up a separate area with egg-laying strips that I hope she utilizes if she is going to lay.

Good luck to everyone, and I look forward to more pictures...and updates!:D

I have some Cynops Orientalis larvae aswell and I was amazed how small they are. Everyone should have the joy of watching these little ones grow. Baby brine and pond water seems to fit the size of these little ones. Give us an update later on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back