Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Woodlice

ali000

Reaction score
I have read some threads where these are listed as a good food for axolotls. I' concerned about their hard casing, has this been known to cause any digestive problems?

Also, how long do they survive once in water?

In Kent we call them cheesy bugs (we are a simple folk), I have never tasted a woodlouse but I very much doubt they taste of cheese

Thanks

TristanH

Reaction score
Re: woodlice

Why not feed your axolotls water slaters (Asellus) - also known as water hog lice? They are basically a sort of aquatic woodlouse and are very common in ponds in the UK. I expect you may be able to buy them from stockists of live food for the aquarium trade.

Tristan

ali000

Reaction score

I have never heard of those, I was actually looking for things I could feed out of the garden (other than worms) I don't really fancy de-shelling snails and the slugs we have are HUGE. So I had read somewhere about woodlice (we have millions). I was also hoping that woodlice would NOT survive underwater, as my axies are pretty slow predators and the woodlice would disappear under a rock before they got eaten.

Does anyone know about woodlice then?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

Hi Alison!

Woodlice are a good food supplement for axolotls. They do live "a long time" (whatever that means) underwater, but wouldn't that be better for slow hunters than something that dies quickly? When the woodlice die in the water, they also aren't as messy as, say, worms, either. And if you're into it, they are also easy (but slow) to breed in a box or a jar.

-Eva

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score

I feed woodlice quite regularly to my Axolotls. They love the hunting once they are attracted by these moving "bugs". So far everything has been digested without any problem.

Nathan050793

Reaction score

I too have heard of them as being a good source of nutrition. As for living underwater for a while, that's quite possible. Woodlice are crustaceans and have gills, so they do fairly well underwater (they will die eventually though if they don't crawl out).

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

Well on the strength of this post my axolotl all dined on woodlice . Jeffrey ( my adult) looked as suprised as an axolotl can, Bruce ( his juvenile son) loved them so much he completely destroyed his tank and then proceeded to beg for more. The outside rogue ( really must name him)also was impressed and it was good to see it in hunt mode. :crazy:

ali000

Reaction score

glad the post was of some use ;)

I'll find out tonight how my two cope. Lily eats everything put in front of her (including fingers) and Inky runs away from everything put in front of him (including tiny earthworms :rolleyes:) so it should be interesting
:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!