Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My poor Rafael...<3

weemano

Reaction score
Rafael is in his own home now, I thik that it's better for his jorney stress, he can get over of it mutch sooner in large aquarium than a plastic box.

Attachments

• HPIM0482.jpg
    HPIM0482.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 255

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Rafael does not look unhappy to me at all!

And with that nicely rounded belly, either he is well fed or he is a girl....

-Eva

weemano

Reaction score
But Rafael just don't move as he should be..too tired, thats what I think.
He just lyes and turns his hed sometimes.

Rafael is in good shape, yes, but http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm if I look those pictures of male and female I think that Rafael is a good eating young male. :)
The ex owner thinks too that Rafael is a boy..

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
In this picture Rafael's leg is hiding the one place I would look to see if Rafael is a he or a she. ;)

Exactly on the page you showed are the perfect pictures for telling the difference.

Either way, Rafael looks like a healthy axolotl from what I can see. Once s/he has rested, I am sure that you two will enjoy each other for many years to come!

-Eva

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What pretty little axolotl you have, try not to worry too much about his lack of movement. Mine do not do too much unless there is food about. Carry on letting him rest and settle into his new home, he's had a huge journey to get to you..I'd be a little put out!!

weemano

Reaction score
I'm just so worried begause Rafael don't move very mutch..
maybe the big tank will sheer he up. :)

weemano

Reaction score
I havent trye to feed hin yet..I gived some time to poor thig to setle down..maybe tonight is the time for some worms.
Rafael ho that snap thing sometimes, just turns his hed and snap&swallow.

weemano

Reaction score
I will trye to give hin some earth worms, Rafael is more aktive now, he looks like he notice where he is. :'D And he moves when I gome to look him.

ali000

Reaction score
Hopefully it's just been him settling in. Please continue to let us know how he does and i'd love to see some photos of him in the future, he is a beautiful axie

weemano

Reaction score
I just tried to feed him.
He does snap the worm in his mouth, but he don't swallow it, just spits it out.
Maybe we will be more lucky tomorrow, at last he moves a bit now. :)

I helpd him to a nice dark hide to rest, there will be no floating and it's dark in there.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
An active axolotl is not necessarily a 'happy' axolotl. Adult axolotls really don't move much.

Lisa

Reaction score
You could try cutting up the earthworms. Once he gets used to them, you probably won't need to, but it will give him the idea and taste. An earthworm is a very fine thing for most axies :D.

weemano

Reaction score
Rafael is intrested of the worms, but he don't just eat them yet.
I'm very hopefull today, I will trye to give him earth worms and those blood worms what seems to be so popular whit the litle axies of my.

I watched rafael last night, he dont use his ringht front leg as he should be, maybe somekind of stress reaction, or there is something wrong..
Rafael isn't any uppset whit handling, so I have helpd him to move, just a litle, so he can swim where he wants, even the balance of his isn't that goor yet, but we take one day by day.:rolleyes:

And I'm sure that adult axies do move more than Rafael, to get food and things like that.
But I will do my best to make sure that rafael is goin to be just fine. :)

Saspotato

Reaction score
Weemano, you should not handle your axolotl, even to make him move a bit. You can damage their slime coat when you touch them.

Adult axolotls do not move much actually so do not be concerned if he does not move around much. My axolotl only moves at night time and then not a lot. The main thing to be concerned about is whether he is eating or not. My axolotl did not eat for two days after I bought him so keep trying with food and hopefully when he settles into his new home Rafael will be ok. :) It can take a little bit of time, especially after a long car journey.

With his leg, is there any sign of damage?

weemano

Reaction score
No, there isnät any marks od damage..
He just don't use them as he should be. Well time shows..

weemano

Reaction score
Rafael didn't eat yesterday, today we will trye again. :)
But he moves now, just a litle.

weemano

Reaction score
I just wait and hope. :)
He moves mutch more now, I think that it's very good. He looks more happy too. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!