Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bombina orientalis: Jumper Cables for Breeding!

Frognewt

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm keeping several orientalis in a 20L together with about 2/3 - 3/4 water and 1/3 to 1/4 land, and I'm really trying to breed them. I've read that most people have great success breeding these guys by lowering temperatures for several weeks and then raising them again weeks later, but is there a way to jump-start the process without the use of a faux-winter? I've read accounts of people creating rainstorms by lowering the water leveling and then refilling it so that even the formerly dry land becomes a bit wet--this was achieved by fine spiggot-head like that of a watering-pail to simulate rainfall. I've also read that nothing says "SPRING FEVER!" like a great big plate of earthworms or crickets; what do you all think?

The reason I'm a bit ancy to move this process along is because in the fall, I'm going to have very limited control over the temperatures (I'll have a roommate who won't want a 60-degree room), and though I live in a temperate climate (Texas) where the temperatures will be more than comfortable for the toads, I'm not certain they'll get that Marvin Gaye get-up-to-make-out-point-like-it's-prom-night feeling.
In my current housing situation, the only control I have is the air conditioning through both bedrooms, so whatever winter wonderlandly thrills the toads enjoy, so too will I. Anyway, I'm willing to be flexible, but I'd absolutely love to know if there's a way to move this process along! When I bought them, some of them were attempting amplexus! I just haven't seen it since!

I know I have at least two males because they're the only ones croaking--any other sexing tips? I've read on this forum that females have deeper inlets in their webbing than males, males are (at adulthood) smaller than females, have smoother backs, and will develop pads on their forearms for gripping the females.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Jake

Frognewt

Reaction score
Re: Orientalis: Jumper Cables for Breeding!

Thanks for your reply!

Several of those seem like really plausible cooling options, and I'll try them out. Did anyone have any other suggestions about jump-starting the process, though?

Thanks in advance!

keechoo

Reaction score
Re: Orientalis: Jumper Cables for Breeding!

My guys are constantly in the mood. To get them this way, I allow the water level to drop and then throw in a nice gallon of cold water. They love it! If I do it slowly enough, they will sit under the "mini rainstorm". Another way to create the mood is by playing around with the humidity. During the day I open the tank to dry it out since I'm home and can prevent escapees. At night, the tank gets closed up and humidity rises. As it rises, so does their mood.

They say a variety of food will increase their mood and probably where I'm not succeeding but mine seem to dislike anything but crickets. This is fine by me since I'm not looking for babies anyways.

Try the suggestions and good luck!

Frognewt

Reaction score
Re: B. orientalis: Jumper Cables for Breeding!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last night, I lowered the water level for a little while and then increased it (to higher than it had been before) by use of an artificial rainstorm! Then, today, I fed them a couple of earthworms, and they had to work together to wrestle one down. Afterward, several of the males (there are at least 3) got many of the other frogs in amplexus! No eggs or any successful draggings down into the water yet, but we'll see what happens in the morning!

Next time I refill the water, I'll try making it a bit cooler and see what happens!

Thanks again,
Jake

Frognewt

Reaction score
Re: B. orientalis: Jumper Cables for Breeding!

Ok, so, I'm guessing that since the "views" number on this post keeps climbing, surely people must be keeping up with it! Now, I have more questions...

I've now got two 20g long tanks with 5 frogs each, and the males have been trying amplexus (especially around feeding times) but it seems like they usually only grab other males! The ratio is (as best I can tell) 3 males to 2 females in each tank! Do females do something to get the attention of the males? Is there some way to stimulate that? I've been doing "rainstorms" for a few days, and that plus feedings daily seem to make it clear to the frogs that it's "spring-time" but no one wants to find a buddy of the opposite sex! Any thoughts?

[JM]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!