Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma maculatum pics

David Tobler

Reaction score
I snapped some shots of one my spotties today. I picked up a group of 10 about 2 months ago, and finally got around to taking a picture today. I only snapped pictures of one of them. Hope you guys like them.

abymac61808a.jpg

abymac61808close.jpg

abymac61808.jpg

David Tobler

Reaction score
Re: A. maculatum pics

beautiful animal, looks very healthy, you must be extremely proud.

Thanks, I got 9 more just like it. I only feed them a couple crickets every 7 to 10 days. I'm trying to keep them lean before attempting to breed them. I plan on bulking them up at the start of the breeding process.

fishkeeper

Reaction score

They look happy, plump, but not overly so. Did you ever take photos of the suspect spermatophores?

Fer

Reaction score

They are really beauty!!!

David Tobler

Reaction score

Where did they come from, that they have that orange?

Well, I'm not sure what location they came from. I'd think that they are fairly polymorphic with any given population. Not all of my spotties have orange spots on the head, just 5 out of the 10. I deffinately prefer the orange-spotted heads over the others. 1 has the pale spotting, and the others have all yellow spots.

I wonder if there's any field herpers in here that could give a guess on the locale?

David Tobler

Reaction score

They look happy, plump, but not overly so. Did you ever take photos of the suspect spermatophores?

Hey, thanks. I never took a photo, I jumped the gun in assuming they were spermatophores. I think that the little white clumps were just broken up feces, or shed. I don't know, they disappered after a few days. Regardless of what they were, no eggs were produced by the females.

I'm going to attempt to breed these beasties following the natural reproductive pattern of our local Ambystomatid salamander, A.californiense. I've spent some time in the field observing the start of their migration, which usually starts around December in Central California.

dane_zu

Reaction score

very nice spotted, is your spotted more outgoing then the shy ones most people know?

As for locals, Im pretty sure orange spots on the head doesn't seem to only occur in one place, so it could be from anywhere.

Andy Avram

Reaction score

Nice shots of a very cool salamander. Too much WC herping for you. For the most part our eastern herps cannot be guessed to locality by color patterns. You guys can guess what road some of your herps come from! The orange in the head spots just happens in various populations (and unfortunately, it seems not in any populations near me).

Andy

David Tobler

Reaction score

very nice spotted, is your spotted more outgoing then the shy ones most people know?

As for locals, Im pretty sure orange spots on the head doesn't seem to only occur in one place, so it could be from anywhere.

All of mine are very skittish. It took awhile to get that spotted to sit still. He just wanted to crawl and hide underneath something.

David Tobler

Reaction score

Nice shots of a very cool salamander. Too much WC herping for you. For the most part our eastern herps cannot be guessed to locality by color patterns. You guys can guess what road some of your herps come from! The orange in the head spots just happens in various populations (and unfortunately, it seems not in any populations near me).

Andy

How true, with the "what road" comment! I thought I recognized the name, you're from FHF. See what us WC (West Coast) herpers keep? Central and Eastern species!! Haha..

Plethodonae

Reaction score

Great pics! Everything came out clear. I really liked the background you put him in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

In addition to what others have said, be sure to enter some of your photographs into our Calender competition!

David Tobler

Reaction score
Well, I've entered the photo competition. I think a few have asked about my camera and flash setup previously. As John stated in the competition thread, and I'm sure I've posted before on here, my camera is a Sony F828. I use an auxilery (screws on the end, like a filter) Canon 500d close-up lens. I use the onboard flash, set at it's lowest power. I diffuse the light using a plastic milk container mounted with a few elastic straps around the body and lens. I place the plastic diffuser as close as I can to the end of the lens barrel to minimize lens shadow.

meandjefflemm.jpg

You can catch a glimpse of my camera and diffuser in this picture.

David Tobler

Reaction score
I do wish I had a DSLR with a true 1:1 macro lens for these little guys...

Bmajor08.jpg

bmajormajorclose.jpg

Batrachoseps m. major - Garden Slender Salamander

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I place the plastic diffuser as close as I can to the end of the lens barrel to minimize lens shadow.
And that gives you pretty awesome diffusion because you're diffusing already diffuse light. I need to rig something like that for my flash because the diffusion dome doesn't cut it for close-up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1