Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt babies found in puddle

debbie

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was walking in a field running of the back of my garden and came across a drying up puddle with five live babie newts in it, I know I should of left nature be but i couldnt help myself.
So i collected them up into a container and they have been living in my bedroom for the last few days eating sea monkeys and daphnia i was hoping to release them in a near pond about a mile away, and i was wondering if this is the right thing to do, or the safe thing to do if not what is the right thing to do. I know that it would be wrong to keep them and elegal i think and im a bit stuck can anyone help.
Thanks, Debbie.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping someone in the UK could answer this, especially the part about legality. It might be best to move them to the nearest body of water (that does not contain fish) and let them go.

Lasher

Reaction score
Thats going to depend on the species, if they were crested you were breaking the law in disturbing them, under the circumstances I would get them back to a suitable body of water as near to where you found them as possible.
If they were either of the other native species your ok, again if you wish to release them it should be into a suitable habitat as close to where you found them as you can.

superfin

Reaction score
its best to release them as fast as possible because almost all wild newts in britain are ilegal could u show a picture of 1 please?:D

p.s just out of intrest where are you getting the sea monkeys?:wacko:

dani

Reaction score
Its not illegal unless the newt's are great crested and if they're in a puddle which is due to dry out you could contact someone to advise them of this and perhaps someone with a licenece to handle these newts can move them to safety...if they're palmate or smooth newts then you arent doing anything wrong by moving them to safe body of water. I saved a palmate newt before from a group of kids who were gonna stick it in a jam jar :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1