Pebbles to sand?

Aussiemum

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Aussiemum
Hi guys,
I havnt posted in awhile as things seem to be going great for my guys.
I have a question, i have large pebbles in my tank and are wanting to change it to sand.
How would be the best way to do this?
I dont want to upset my guys but i kow this is pretty much a whole tank change!

Thanks!

Hi Aussiemum,

Yes, the axolotls should not be in the tank while all this change is happening, they will be thrilled by the end result though. ;) Sand is great!

Remove the axolotls and place them in tubs or buckets of fresh dechlorinated water and put somewhere cool and safe. Do not put the axies in the same container! Give them seperate containers and ensure there is enough water to dillute wastes and that the container has a lid to prevent escape.

Remove all gravel from the tank and dispose as you will.

Do not clean any of the other tank surfaces that remain in the tank, such as ornaments, tank walls, filter, plants, rocks that are remaining in the tank - this will preserve your remaining 'beneficial bacterias' that will take a bit of a blow when all the gravel is removed.

For sand subsrate: You will either need childrens play sand as this has been sterilized, or pool filter sand, or fresh water aquarium sand sold at most pet shops and aquariums. Do not use sand from the Beach or Marine sand.

You will need to wash the sand thoroughly - the old bucket method works well. Put some sand in the bucket, pour in water, stir up the sand and pour out the water, the run off will be cloudy the first couple of times, keep repeating this until the water run off is clear - put clean sand in tank.

Once in the tank, the sand needs to sit for about 24 hours - keep axies in their tubs during this time.

When the axies are ready to move back home, let the tubs sit next to the tank and when the waters of each are at the same room temperature, transfer the axolotls back into the tank - you can use a net to do this - don't put the tub water into the tank.

Cheers Jacq.

Thank you so much for the info.
I just didnt know how to do the change effectively.
And i wasnt sure about changing water etc but u have given me the advise i need thanks!
Do my guys go in the fridge or just in containers anywhere in the house thats quiet?

Thanks!

Do my guys go in the fridge or just in containers anywhere in the house thats quiet?

Thanks!

Hi,

Just in the house somewhere quiet, cool and above all 'safe' (ie. If you have a cat, don't trust the cat - put the axies behind a locked door).

Cheers Jacq.

And i wasnt sure about changing water etc but u have given me the advise i need thanks!

If you find it easier to make the substrate changes with no water in the tank, you will need to transfer the tank water to another container/s and then transfer the water back in the tank when done.

Please try to avoid doing a 100% fresh water change.

I would leave the water in the tank while scooping out all the gravel and then putting the sand in - it will take a while to settle and may look cloudy even though the sand has been cleaned - but the next morning it should have cleared and should look good. :happy:

I'm about to change to sand and at the moment I have a an undergravel filter (which isn't really doing a good job) but about to change to an external one. Should I wait for the filter to arrive before I do the change?

Hi Ryan3640,

I think it would be best if you do wait for your new filter before making the change to sand.

I agree with Eve. I would put your new filter in before putting in the new substrate. This allows some time for colonization of bacteria before you take out the substrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back