Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What temp should my Axolotls be?

Michael2266

Banned
Reaction score
I couldn't find this in any posts, but what temperature should my water be in a 30gal tank with two 3in Axolotls? I know under 70, but what ranges? (yes I checked various website, but I want the normal hobbiest think). I live in Arizona too, my house stays aronund 60-80degrees. Will my tank be cooll enough? How do I lower temps on a daily baisis. I'm on summer break so i'll have no problem changing something every other hour, however when school starts on July 21st, how will I keep them cool then?
If anyone can help at all that'd be great! Yes "I HAVE" checked various websites, but I would like to get a general opinion. Thanks alot!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
You've posted in the wrong part of the forum. I've moved this to the axolotl area. There has to be hundreds of posts covering this on the forum. Please search the forum in future.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

I'm in New Zealand and we use Degrees Celcius. Any temperature above 22C is going to promote issues like fungus, heat stress etc anything below 15C and your axies metabolisms may start to slow meaning they will eat less and be more lethargic.

Some keepers have had axies in outside ponds that freeze over during winter months and so long as there is a food source they survive.

Have look at www.axolotl.org it has heaps of if information about all aspects of axolotl keeping and breeding.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1