Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mysterious Newt found in large seep near Rudolstadt, Germany!

Heinz68

Reaction score
Dear Caudata Forum,

I live in Rudolstadt, Thuringia Germany and are mostly interessted in Insects.
Anyway, Im interessted in amphibians, too and googled to determinate a newt we found on an excursion with local enviroment carers (BUND) in a large seep ca. 11 km south of Rudolstadt in May 15. I already know the local newts, as I have the "Berninghausen" and Im sure, it wasent a member of this species, like the crested newt, who occurs mostly in dark shadowed forest swamps and seeps!
And Im sure it wasn`t a Firesalamander, too!
Maybe one of you can help me to determinate ( I have no pic, as we let him free immediatley cause our laws):
This newt was ca 18-20 cm long and brownish- greyish with a big head and relativley big eyes and a big moth with some kind of lipps. As I have googled, he looked mostly simmilar to this photo,
I have found on the web!

regards
Heinz

Attachments

• ranodon_sibiricus_wallays_4.jpg
    ranodon_sibiricus_wallays_4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 465

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am thinking of two possibilities. One, maybe it was an unusually large crested newt. I have seen these kinds of "lips" on them. Two, maybe a released Pleurodeles. These are so common in captivity that it's possible there could be a released one living. Was the skin smooth or rough?

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, unfortunately it's going to be impossible to identify the species given the lack of crucial detail and picture of actual caudate. Jen has given some good suspects, though I wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if either were not it.

Heinz68

Reaction score
Dear Community,

As I saw, there is no chance for determinating this newt without a pic, so we went to the habit todays morning. Unfortunatley, less newt remained in water and all this common crested newts, I think. But under a stone in the near of the water Line we found one of this unusual brownish ones.
Even if this one was not at large as the newt we found in may at this place, he looks relativley similar. Sorry for bad qualitiy of the photo, but he was very fast and we had to free him immeadiatley!
The skin wasent rough, it was smooth, but Im already sure, it wasent one of this usual crested newts and no fire salamander at all!
regards
Heinz

Attachments

• unknown newt.JPG
    unknown newt.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 356

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That does look like Ommatotriton. I´d say it´s a female too even though it kind of has a tiny crest. Also, this species matches the description since males can get quite large, definitely bigger than Triturus. The similarities with Ranodon though are very...imaginative.
What´s people thinking??? who releases Ommatotriton in Germany?? That could be an stablised population...

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I have no idea how an Ommatotriton species would be in Germany, however it's either that or like Jen said "an unusually large crested newt." I mean look, it's definitely not Pleurodeles.

Heinz68

Reaction score
Hello at all,

Well that should be the right determination for the "mysterious" newts at all! Thank u very much!

caleb

Reaction score
Looks like a big female smooth newt (Lissotriton (=Triturus) vulgaris) to me. Body length is about the same length as the little finger of the person in the photo- well within the range of smooth newt size. Female smooths do occasionally have a dark and light stripe along the side- for example, look at these photos from Henk Wallays:

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=aw_lists_genera_&enlarge=1111+1111+1111+3168
http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?query_src=aw_lists_genera_&enlarge=1111+1111+1111+2525

A big female smooth is much more likely than an out-of-place Ommatotriton...

franceschino

Reaction score
I agree with Caleb: it was probably a female L. vulgaris which are very similar in appearence to O. ophryticus females. Is L. helveticus also present in the area? Alternatively it could have been a female M. alpestris. I doubt it was an O. ophryticus cos they come from Turkey; it would be very unlikely for a breeder of this species to release them in the wild and it would be even more unlikely for them to survive and to be spotted by someone passing by.
ciao
Francesco

Nathan050793

Reaction score
After seeing those pictures, I could believe it is L.vulgaris, that would make more sense. That would go with the "large crested newt" theory. It doesn't look like M.alpestris to me though.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the L.vulgaris possibility is that males can never....ever....get to be 18cm long. So it´s either a missidentification of a crested newt or it´s actually a released Ommatotriton. It would be very useful if you could go back there and take pics of a male.

The animal from the picture could perfectly be a female vulgaris. I hadn´t noticed the size of the animal.
Ommatotriton females are way smaller than males though, and they could perfectly be the size of a vulgaris female...and being so similar it´s really difficult to distinguish them. The key would be the males.

petro

Reaction score
The photograph is showing a t.vulgaris(at least in my opinion)in my garden there are living a lot of them.
Two years ago (or so) I found a female there from the size of 16 cm,and years ago also from that size neare my gardenhouse.
Petro.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1