freezing live food

ali000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We often buy maggots to feed hubby's fish, we get them by the pint and freeze them. Once frozen last for ages. So I decided to try the same with earthworms (as I understand it this is a more humane way of killing them than cutting them up). So I froze them then defrosted the ones I wanted to use in some warm water, after this I was able to cut up the larger ones or leave the smaller ones, this was far easier and less depressing than trying to cut something that was wriggling.
My axies didn't seem to care that they were dead (they often get frozen bloodworm) and wolfed them down as usual.
Just wondering what others opinion was on this and whether they have tried this with other live food?

I haven't tried this with live food yet, but I think it's a great idea and will see where it goes. I am actually thinking now that it would be much easier to cut the frozen worms into really tiny slivers than trying with live (or even defrosted?) ones - do you have a word on that?

-Eva

to cut them whilst still frozen you would probably need to do it with a sharp knife or razor blade, I held the defrosted ones with a pair of forceps (even when they're dead i'm a wimp :eek:) then cut them over a pot with a pair of scissors, it was really easy. I suppose if you're handy with a knife (like a chef) then cutting them frozen would be easier...I'd probably cut my fingers off:rolleyes:

Yes, I was thinking razor blade while frozen. Anything must be easier while they are not wriggling, and frozen would hopefully mean they won't gunk all over the place while being cut. Maybe we should put a PG rating on this thread but I'm still thrilled at the suggestion and plan to test other feeder critters, too. We'll see.

-Eva

Wow, great idea! I usually get loads of worms, then can't find any for weeks, so this would work wonders for me! Thank you so much!

Lol, glad you like the idea Eva, anything to make it less gruesome :eek:

to cut them whilst still frozen you would probably need to do it with a sharp knife or razor blade

Kitchen scissors (the 'cut-anything' type) could easily manage this- probably easier than using a knife or razor blade.

Yeah, nice thought. I will just do a mass collection of worms and then freeze them for later
Just have to explain to family that they are not spagetti

Yeah this is a great idea, because the area behind my yard has huge worms at numbers I can't describe, so i can save them for winter!

I hope that works for you - I can see it being rather nasty and potentially very smelly when they are thawed.

it would be far healthier for your herps if you change their food seasonally or use smaller worms!....and probably for your fridge too, wild earthworms can be FULL of parasites

wild earthworms can be FULL of parasites
That, to the best of my knowledge, are not communicable to amphibians. There are some very old threads about this with info from Ed Kowalski.

Yeah, nice thought. I will just do a mass collection of worms and then freeze them for later
Just have to explain to family that they are not spagetti

Just so you know, when they thaw out they will be nothing but mush and pretty useless. I had some in the fridge that accidentally froze and when I thawed them out they turned into something I would equate to a liquid paste and stunk to high heavens.

Later,
Justin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back