Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not eating

adierolfe

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Hi everyone. My sister gave me Salli (she thought it was a salamander) about 6 months ago and she was eating prawns really well and she was looking health. But within the last week she has been off her food, including flakes, pellets and bloodworm, which the pet shop said she would eat. She now looks thin and unhealthy.:cry:

She has also lost the tip of her tail. Not sure if its related.

Any advise?

Adie

Hi Adie
What are the water readings?
What is the water temp?
What substance do you have in the bottom of the tank?

heres my tank and junk:D:eek:

Attachments

• 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 767
  • 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 451
Other then the gravel, looks great to me. And love the first pic of her perched ontop the rocks!!

Hi Adie, when you've got rid of the gravel try your Axolotl on some live food - worms from the garden and woodlice. Make sure the worms aren't too big (cut them up if need be).

ok she is in the new tank with sand and no heater. but still not eating.

"cut up worms"?? cant she eat a full one?

Added two new pictures of the new set up.

Attachments

• DSC00324.JPG
    DSC00324.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC00325.JPG
    DSC00325.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 811
If she will eat whole worms let her. They are one of the best foods, and fairly easy to find and dig up here in Wales at the moment after all the rain. Slugs and woodlice also go down well. Try and keep the water conditions right: You may need to do frequent partial water changes while the cycle which deals with ammonia re-establishes.

well she seems happier in the new tank, and she even tried to eat a worm but she spits them out again

What kind of worms are you offering? Some worms secrete a noxious fluid when cut/bitten.

"cut up worms"?? cant she eat a full one?

Hi mate, yeah - she probably can, but when I've had new Axolotls - that don't eat or look like they haven't eaten for a long time I find smaller food goes down easier (and stays down).

As Kaysie says; avoid those little red worms that have that yellow toxin.

hi thanks for all the advise, but nothing has worked yet. :(

She is still not eating? Adie, can you take her to a vet who is familiar with amphibians?

I noticed you have not posted the water parameters for your tank so it could be water quality related.

What are the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite readings?
What is the Ph level?
What is the temperature?
How often do you change the water and how much water do you swap?

Anyway, if you could provide that information it might narrow down the problem with your axolotl. As you've said she is in a new tank, it could be that it is cycling so the ammonia levels could be the stressor that is stopping your axolotl eating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back