Strange or not maybe.

rigsby

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Ian Rigg
I keep my Shanjing in a four tank with a biggish water area which the rarely use , i also have a tank with four Verrucosus which are totally aquatic. Recently i noticed one of the shanjing was turning noticably dark, at first i feared there was something amiss with it but it was feeding and quite happy so i left it in with the others. Then a few weeks ago i saw it was spending more and more time in the water and about a week ago it was refusing to leave the water at all. I took it out and compaired it with my dark form of Verrucosus and it was identical , since then has been leading a totally aquatic life in the tank with them and i can't tell which one was the original shanjing.So maybe they aren't such a seperate species afterall.

How old is he?

That is my thought as well. Are your shanjing CB or WC?
Chip

Aside from the darker color, did the prominence of the orange spots also change?

It sounds like you have the lighter form of verrucosus and confused it with shanjing. I've see lighter form verrucosus that are almost indistinguishable from shanjing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back